iPad mini Now that the Mini w/ Retina has launched, what is (or will be) your case of choice?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by KylePowers, Nov 12, 2013.

1. KylePowers, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

What cases are y'all going with? Ideally I'm looking for one that has the extra mic hole on the back taken into account (though I wonder how necessary it truly is).

Nevertheless, pics and links greatly appreciated. I'll even update this first post with said pics/links :)

Cheers!

Front cover:
    Rear cover:
    Full case:

2. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

Ideally a smart cover (ordered and shipped already) and a clear shell.

Anyone have any recommendations for the shell?

3. modelbehaviour, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

Possibly the beige leather smart case, but maybe a smart cover type thing if I can find one I like. And a sleeve, possibly this one (because I like girly patterned things :D )

[​IMG]

Does anyone know if the old mini smart covers are compatible with the retina mini?

4. KylePowers thread starter macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Apple website says they're compatible (if you check out the compatibility tab).

5. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

I currently have a Poetic Slimline case on my 1st gen iPad mini, ordered another one for the retina mini. Amazon says shipping by the 15th, should have it before my mini gets here.

6. modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

Thanks! I looked at the old case on John Lewis (because I prefer the old shade of pink) and it said it wasn't compatible but I figured they had it wrong.

7. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I did the same. My Mini1 case does fit my Mini2 if I snap it in real hard. Another .0001" probably is all it needs. It's not completely secure but it will do until next week. Can't wait for the "Poetic case smell of rotting meat" for the 2 weeks after I get it. :)

8. windowwasher macrumors newbie

9. Oui macrumors 6502

Eek what a waste of an iPad

10. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Anyone like the Logitech keyboard cover? Or does that make it too bulky? Considering just a smart cover to keep it thin.

11. Sputnek macrumors regular

I originally was going to jump to that, and realized 1. No stand, and 2. It's too bulky.

Anyone else have any ideas for a slim line case with a good stand?

12. bwsteg macrumors 6502

I will be using apples smart case in brown for my silver, especially since it was free of cost.

13. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

Going with the Apple Smart Cover and a matte back protector skin (for scratch protection). Should keep the added weight to a minimum as well as add some grip to the back for holding while walking around.

14. KylePowers thread starter macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Anyone know of any Vaja clones? They're absolutely gorgeous, but their prices are waaaayyy too out of my price range :(
    How'd you swing that?

EDIT: OP updated.

15. bwsteg macrumors 6502

Called apple and told them that target was selling the Mini with $75 gift card (bf deal). Service rep told me they couldn't match, so I asked for a free smart case and her supervisor approved.

16. Valinor macrumors member

Ordered my white ipad mini retina today.
    I'll be using my old ipad mini sleeve:
    http://www.mujjo.com/ipad-mini-sleeve-brown-wool-felt
    [​IMG]

Combined with a green ipad mini smart cover as a stand.

And for the back only scratch protection: xtremeguard back clear protector foil.
    Dont like cases, they make the ipad to thick and heavy. I want to see and feel the back.

17. kalt macrumors regular

I don't like having a cover on the screen, I like being able to have my ipad out in front of me and see the screen to view the notifications about emails, msgs, etc. With a cover on, that whole feature is lost.

I like to keep it thin and just use a clear zagg-style protector for the back.

18. KylePowers thread starter macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Updated original post.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I still haven't made up my mind yet.

Also, anyone have opinions on the brown leather Smart Case? I know it's hella expensive, but I fancy its aesthetics.

19. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for an updated Candyshel Grip case from Speck. I used one for the original mini and I loved it. I'm not worried about the screen not having any protection, my original mini was flawless after all that time.

20. The Dougler macrumors member

The Dougler

I had the switch easy cover buddy on my first gen mini and really liked it. Hoping the launch the revised ones for the rMini soon.

21. Young Turk macrumors 6502

Oftentimes under appreciated aspect to any case is its weight. His much does it add to the paper light mini retina? The Apple Smart case is very light. It's on my Christmas list. Getting the Apple Smart Cover for now for my 16 gb rMini in White/Silver.

22. Young Turk macrumors 6502

Just picked up the Apple Smart Cover for the retina mini. Love it. Got the black to go with my 16gb White/Silver WiFi model.

23. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

24. Young Turk macrumors 6502

Forgot to mention - may Smart Cover stays flush with the back of the mini Retina when open.

25. Mortis360 macrumors member

I got the Apple Smart Case, full protection without adding alot of bulk, I had the BookBook for my old iPad mini, but I never used it because it was too bulky.