Now that the resolution gap is smaller...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by auero, Apr 15, 2010.

1. auero macrumors 65816

I know there have been several topics on this in the past but now that apple has added a resolution bump to the 15" it's a complete game changer, at least for me. I do graphic design so pixels do count but not when they're overpriced!

I'd normally just go for the 17" macbook pro but since the 15" has the ability to perform at a higher resolution (upgrade of course) it's making my purchase and perhaps others more difficult.

The 17" in my eyes is automatically $300 more expensive because I'd upgrade to the i7 (subtract $100 out of that for the HR upgrade on the 15" so technically $200 more)

So is the 17" worth it for the resolution? Putting portability aside (I don't find it much bigger) The resolution doesn't have a large gap but I'm still seeing people buying the 17" in the "Just ordered my mac" thread.

Opinions?

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

Resolution is important to me as well ( photographer ) I decided that the 1680x1050 was good enough for on the go and bought a 24" cinema display so when I am at my home I can use the higher res of that display ( 1920x1200 ) I am still waiting for the Macbook in the mail ( god it is torture lol ) but I think this will prove to be a good solution, it might work for you.

3. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I thought about that (especially with the 24" display) but its so expensive! I wouldn't use any other external monitor though.

I thought that getting the 15" would allow me to use the money towards something else like ram.

So lost on what to do! I originally bought an i7 iMac but I just got it today and it had the yellow tinge so gave up and returned it.

4. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

5. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

Yeah it is expensive, I know you said you would not go for another display but NEC sells this IPS monitor with a res of 1920x1080 ( 16:9 aspect ratio ) for only $310 USD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002524

It even has a display port connecter on it but you will need this to connect it to a Macbook pro

http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-3...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271380298&sr=8-1

Its got good reviews I was going to buy this myself but I came into some extra cash at the last moment and decided on the Apple Cinema Display. But this might work for you.

Like you said though the extra ram could come in handy when running lots of things like Photoshop ( CS5 supports 64 bit so it can use all of the 8GBs of ram if it needs it )

6. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

Besides the color, another reason for not wanting anything but the Apple display is the camera and ease of connections. You can tack on the camera to the price of that and I almost have the ACD (I believe my friend can get it for 15% off. I have to check) I used prior monitors with the Apple display port to dvi connector and the monitors tended to lose signal if the computer fell asleep AFTER it fell asleep and wouldnt want to wake up. I'd have to turn it off and back on. Just an annoying hassle.