iPad Now that the screen is laminated, is it stronger??

houssein31

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
I remember last year, the iPad Air was really fragile. During the drop test video, its screen broke very easily. But now, since they laminated it to the screen, will it make it more resistant to drops?

If so, I'm pretty sure I'll return my AppleCare+

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
I might be wrong on this, but I believe you're not understanding what lamination means. It doesn't make it stronger. It just makes it better for veiwing and clarity. Prior, the three layers of the screen (glass, touch layer, and the actual display) were seperate, but now they're laminated into one layer.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I might be wrong on this, but I believe you're not understanding what lamination means. It doesn't make it stronger. It just makes it better for veiwing and clarity. Prior, the three layers of the screen (glass, touch layer, and the actual display) were seperate, but now they're laminated into one layer.
joining few layers into one...wouldn't it make the screen have better rigidity somehow? I suspect that because of the lamination, no more gap between layers and thus the hollow screen issue in iPad Air can be gone.