Now that two years are up...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thegosh, Jun 5, 2009.

1. thegosh macrumors newbie

forgive me if this is repetitive, but I did a search and didn't come across anything recent....

typically, AT&T will unlock phones for customers once they have fulfilled their contracts. early on (2007/2008), it seemed as though they weren't going to continue this practice with the iPhone. but with the release of the unsubsidized version, I'm wondering ... is AT&T going to allow us to legally unlock our two year old iPhones?

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Unfortunately, nope. All iPhones sold here in the US are currently locked to AT&T and doesn't support authorized unlocking. For more info, visit this.

3. thegosh thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the link... though that seems to be referring to the 3G, which, at best, still has another year left before the contract is fulfilled.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I thought carriers are required by law to unlock once contract is up?

5. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

There is no law like that in the US. Until a short time ago, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act prevented some phones from being unlocked and shifted to a new carrier.

cite: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2069318,00.asp

6. thegosh thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the link -- after you shared it I found this: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2008/05/supreme-court-o/#more-2353

I guess since at&t has been mum, they don't intend to let anyone unlock the iPhone unless ordered to by the court... a real shame for those of us who like to travel.