iPad mini NOW the 9.7" iPad feels like a CEMENT SLAB!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by whocaresit, Nov 2, 2012.

1. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

After using the ipad mini for just about an hour. I just tried using my iPad 3 just for comparison. Swiped to unlock. Immediately put it down! It's so heavy and cannot bear that weight in my hands!

The magic of iPad mini! :eek: :D

PS: typed this from my mini.. Feels so good typing!

2. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I believe the weight of the mini will turn out to be as appealing as its size. A group of us were at lunch and someone was showing pictures of their kids Halloween costumes on their iPhone 4. The phone got passed around the table and when it got to me I couldn't believe how heavy it was (with no case), compared to my iP5.

3. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Mini with retina will be about the perfect product.

4. hyteckit Guest

I have the heaviest iPad. The iPad 1.

I don't use it as much as I like because it's large and heavier than I wanted.

5. seajewel macrumors 6502

haha iPhone 5 is so light it felt like a toy in the store. I wouldn't mind but I'm not upgrading (sticking with my 4 for monetary reasons...)

6. Powrie macrumors 6502

Just wait for the lighter and thinner iPad 5th gen. :apple:

7. profets macrumors 68040

That's what I wonder. When mini gets retina, and has the same number of pixels as the iPad, yet is much more mobile, and is cheaper, will there be much reason to go for the regular sized iPad?

8. T4R06 macrumors 65816

i am so guilty right now... my almost 4yr old daughter is looking at me and she has the original ipad with her with zoogue case. she had it 09 thanksgiving with engrave and that thing is so heavy...

9. TheMadBrewer macrumors regular

Unless there is a battery break thru in the near future any mini with a retina display will be quite a bit heavier (or else Apple will have to give on their "10 hour" use standard)

From all the break down articles I've see the iPads are basically a big ass battery with a screen attached :)

10. Ubele macrumors 6502a

I still have an iPad 1, which I've never found too big or heavy. In fact, I couldn't believe how light and portable it felt compared to my 2008 15" MBP – which itself felt light and portable (obviously) compared to my Power Mac G4 tower. My MBP stays connected to an external monitor and keyboard, and my iPad moves with me around the house. I can't wait to see the Mini in person, though. My iPad 1 crashes a lot these days. Do I replace it with an iPad 4 or a Mini? We'll see...

11. matrix808 macrumors regular

my guess is that the mini will ALWAYS have a slower processor than its bigger brother, making customers always deciding between portability vs. speed.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I think the new mini will become the only iPad one day

13. dthree36 macrumors regular

I think I would prefer a thin and light 9.7". This 7.9" is taking me a bit of getting use to. Once I do... maybe I will love it more.

14. profets macrumors 68040

That's a very good possibility too. But even so, choosing between (for example) an A6 based mini or A7 based iPad may not make a difference for 99% of what people use it for.

15. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Dont forget the ungodly A6! That is what would push me to the mini maybe even more so than retina.

16. Casey3557 macrumors newbie

One of the reasons I purchased the Mini was for travel. The lighter weight and smaller profile can only help when packing (and toting!) a carry-on bag. ;)

17. saberahul macrumors 68040

Which is the reason I am not buying it… I may get it next year when they get the retina.

18. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

The so called Apple mini is destroying what the original iPad stood for. You said it yourself, "It's so heavy and cannot bear the weight in my hands!".

19. sno1man macrumors regular

Yup! It's not a matter of if, but when.

I was skeptical until I played extensively with the new mini today. Short answer they pretty much solved the usability issues that precluded a smaller device (before now)

PS: at this point performance is more of a marketing thing; the iphone 5 is 90% of the performance of the new iPad practically speaking

20. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

I got a chance to play around with the mini today in store and BOY is there a difference! The big iPad feels like a brick in comparison to the featherly lightness of the mini. For me there is now no doubt which one to get.

I am considering the Nexus 7 as well tho if the mini gets sold out for weeks.

21. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

Nah... The big iPad fills a niche just like a 15 inch laptop does. The smaller versions will just be more popular / more useable for most people.

22. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Sarcasm? iPad 1 wasn't even released until 2010.

23. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yeah, it's funny once I picked up the mini in-store. I no longer wanted to upgrade my iPad 3. Bought an entry mini & will keep the 3 until Apple gets the weight down to at least iPad 2 weight. I like both sizes though for different uses.

24. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Im gonna wait for the ipad mini with retina display...

25. xofruitcake macrumors 6502a

I think screen break through is what we are looking for. Sharp is supposedly have the IGZO that will cut the back light and battery need..

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Shar...ZO-panels-for-smartphones-and-tablets_id29107

GZO (iridium gallium zinc oxide) LCD displays are useful to designers looking to increase the resolution on a product's screen, and those looking to build a slim device. The material used in producing these screens allows for the use of smaller TFTs and more illumination for each pixel which reduces the need for a powerful backlight. Had the IGZO panels been available in time to use on the new iPad, the third iteration of Apple's tablet might not have needed the bigger battery and thicker footprint necessary to include extra LED backlighting. The latter is required to keep the unit's 2048x1536 resolution Retina display bright. The IGZO panels were unable to be used for the most recent iPad model because the panels failed Apple's approval process.