Now there is no good MBP to buy, 4K monitor now or later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Dec 4, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I was waiting for a year for Apple to release a new MBP. Now we know it has lots of problems. The Surface Book i7 is quit good but it is duo core and battery life in tablet mode alone is poor. I guess I will postpone the purchase until next year. Originally I planned to buy a 30-40" 4K monitor with the new laptop but now I have to postpone it also because my MBP 17" 2010 cannot support a 4K monitor.

The monitor I used at school before is good:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01489703

I like the vertical resolution (1920 x 1200). At 24", the letters are comfortable to read.

What suggestion do you have? Buy a monitor with similar specifications now or wait for next year when the KL Mac, Surface Pro 5, SurfaceBook 2 become available?

I think the size of the two just-released LG monitors maybe too small. If I scale based on the previous monitor, I would need 40" something to get similar letter size.

2. Dick Whitman macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

Admittedly, Apple has made the upgrade path somewhat difficult but I think I'll probably end up pulling the trigger on a ntMBP. This model seems to have the least amount of issues. I plan on getting a 4K monitor as well.

I could pair my Mid 2012 MBA with a non-4K monitor but eventually I'll need to upgrade my MBA and when I do I'm going to want a 4K monitor. So to me it makes sense to upgrade everything now rather than wait and do without a monitor or get a monitor that I'll ultimately end up replacing.

I will say that I was briefly tempted to get a 5K iMac but after adding in basic options like an SSD and trackpad the price was over $2K, which seems like a lot especially considering how Apple hasn't updated the iMac in over 400 days.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...by the time you're ready to upgrade your MBA the price on the 4k monitors will come down; I'd wait...

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Apple have just released a series of MacBook pros with 4k and 5k monitors firmly in mind, so literally exactly what you want!! Yes some people are having a few issues but This is their best selling release ever, some people will have issues same with any new computer the surface book was a disaster at release for example...