Now they really need that new apple display!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chfilm, Jun 6, 2017.

1. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

hey,

I know they've announced in that famous interview that there will be a new apple branded display at some point. But I really thought in yesterday's keynote that they need to push it out this year, together with that iMac pro beast! It looked so awful in the presentation next to those LG displays... Jonny I've must've been holding his hands to cover his eyes :D

2. shoebobs macrumors regular

The new Apple Display will likely be 5k, and Apple being Apple, they will want current models to be able to drive it with one cable. I think SST 5k doesn't come until Coffee Lake or even Cannonlake, so we're a couple releases from Intel away.

3. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Using what I/O?

I can't think of a single cable solution that would drive a SST 5K monitor @ 60hz.

4. shoebobs macrumors regular

Correct - not currently - I'm saying Apple will wait until that is available, which I think is either Coffee Lake or Cannonlake. It comes as part of DisplayPort 1.3.

At least that is my understanding from scanning a few articles. I'm no hardware expert so I could be misinterpreting something.

More here:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9331/intel-announces-thunderbolt-3
    "However Intel is not implementing the latest version of DisplayPort – DisplayPort 1.3 – in to the Thunderbolt 3 standard. Instead they are doubling up on DisplayPort 1.2...The end result is that Thunderbolt 3 will not be able to drive the kind of next-generation displays DisplayPort 1.3 is geared towards – things like 8K displays and 5K single-tile displays"
    https://www.macrumors.com/guide/4k-5k-displays-buyers-guide-mac/
    (Old article, hence the mention of 'late 2016' which didn't pan out per the above article on intel not including DP 1.3 in T3)
    "Macs with DisplayPort 1.3, which may not launch until at least late 2016, will be able to drive a 5K display over Single-Stream Transport (SST)"

5. H.Finch macrumors regular

I'd be so, so happy with a new Apple display... In fact, I'm not even getting a new Macbook Pro until one comes out. Becaue in no way I’m going to pair it with a black piece of plastic.
    And if it was height adjustable all my wishes would be fulfilled.

6. jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

There won't be new Apple 5K displays until end 2018 AT LEAST. And they won't be SST unless Tbolt 3 gets a "rev 2" versioning (unlikely). Another version of Tbolt (4?) won't be available until late 2019 either: it's aiming for 8K at 60Hz SST, but nothing is guaranteed, of course (just like Tbolt 3 didn't get DP 1.3, only 1.2).

So likely they'll be just like the already available LG 5K's, just perhaps with full native 10bit, rather than the 8+2bit the current great LG 5K's have – I have two on a maxed-out 2016 15" MBP, and they work great just with minor control niggles.