Now this could be trouble

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Seems that scientists (evil ones) have come across a potion that makes people trust you.

"Honest honey!" and one wiff of this and you are back at the buddies poker game.

This is bad, very, very, bad! :eek: :D :p :cool:

Wink

Get someone to sniff a new potion made from the chemical oxytocin and they'll be more willing to loan you money.

Trust us on this.

Scientists discovered that inhaling the chemical made people more trusting in social situations with random people.

Researchers know very little about the biological basis of trust. Michael Kosfield and his colleagues at the University of Zurich believed oxytocin - a chemical widely known to enhance social bonding in animals and currently used to induce labor and lactation in human mothers - might play a role.

So Kosfield and his colleagues set up a game involving two people - one playing the role of an anonymous trustee who asked an investor for money for a risky scheme. Investors who sniffed oxytocin trusted the trustee significantly more and handed over their money much more readily, the scientists found.

To determine whether this result was truly trust oriented, the researchers did a control experiment that replaced the trustee with a computer. Investors - even those given oxytocin - were not as likely to risk their money to the automaton. Researchers say this result shows oxytocin enhances trust between individuals rather than just making people less averse to risks.
Link to another article of same subject

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Wish I had this on Monday! I was sitting behind Danica Patrick at the Indy 500 Banquet. Come with me sweetheart, let's take a ride - you can drive :eek:

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Just for fun I'd do the Jedi Mind Trick Hand Wave while using it on anyone :D

"You WILL give me a pay raise. In fact, you WILL promote me to the highest position in the company, then resign and give me your position."

Hmmm...

"Mr. Gates, you WILL give me all your money, and then shut down Microsoft."
:D

Go to the U.N...
"You WILL hand over control of the world to me..."

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Medications are know for having more than one use. This one is quite interesting. I have used oxytocin during my Air Force Reserve duty on an OB Ward. In the wrong hands this could be dangerous, encouraging people into fake investments. Also would have to be careful around pregnant women.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
GFLPraxis said:
Just for fun I'd do the Jedi Mind Trick Hand Wave while using it on anyone :D

classic - but you have to wonder if this is something that you'll ever see used.

Imagine pumping it into a whole building or even a bar - there really isn't a good use for this that I can come up with.....

D

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Mr. Anderson said:
Imagine pumping it into a whole building or even a bar -
D
5 minutes before closing........."honest, I'll respect you in the morning Mr.!"

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
dubbz said:
Will it have the same effect if you drink it? Image putting it in the local drinking water.
You'll also need a big red ball to activate it.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
MongoTheGeek said:
If you were going to be really clever about it you could splice genes for it into flowers...
Now that would be truly evil.....sounds almost like something a Bond villain would do on his way to ruling the world.... :D

D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
MongoTheGeek said:
? I don't get it.
It's the Rimbaldi device. Anyway, if you don't know what it is, it's okay. It's not that important to know.