Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allbrokeup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
You know on Windows 2000 and higher, how you enter a keyboard combo and it locks your computer..Mac OS X can now do that too.

The app I have just created is entitled "Locked" and it does the following

The included face-less app, called Selector, displays a Bevel with Options to Lock, Turn off Bevel and Close Options.

The actual "Locked" application, Pulls up a full screen window with the Leopard Aurora, and a Window modeled on the Login Screen, requiring the User Account Password and Name to return to the Desktop.

Post back on my idea, and give me feedback on how it is going. I am going to venture in further, to make it auto-detect any User Passwords and Names and require them without prior Hard-Coding. Any suggestions on that???????

allbrokeup.

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
I really like it!! I like the idea of this more than the default option for entering password when waking from sleep!!

Also, can you make it so we can change the background/ use a .qtz file for out BG?

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
...or you could just enable it with Keychain. In Keychain, select Preferences, then Show Status in Menu Bar which displays a black padlock symbol. Click on the padlock and select Lock Screen. A shortcut key sequence can also be created in Sys. Prefs. Far more elegant.

CaptainZap

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2007
...or you could just enable it with Keychain. In Keychain, select View, then Show Status in Menu Bar which displays a black padlock symbol. Click on the padlock and select Lock Screen. A shortcut key sequence can also be created in Sys. Prefs. Far more elegant.

How would you go about adding a key sequence for it??

Mactropolis

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2007
allbrokeup... excellent idea.

Would like to test it out and perhaps even do a little review on my site. I could see an app like that coming in handy!

lazydog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2005
Cramlington, UK
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get what's so great about this app. So it locks the screen and then you have to enter a password to unlock it. Is that it?

b e n

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get what's so great about this app. So it locks the screen and then you have to enter a password to unlock it. Is that it?

b e n

While one can 'just' use fast user switching, what the Windows world has had for awhile is the Windows-L combo. Locks your computer really quickly. Now, I don't care if someone can login using their account, but I do like the quickness of it.

On my own systems, I use Lock My Mac, and leave it in the dock.

lazydog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2005
Cramlington, UK
While one can 'just' use fast user switching, what the Windows world has had for awhile is the Windows-L combo. Locks your computer really quickly. Now, I don't care if someone can login using their account, but I do like the quickness of it.

On my own systems, I use Lock My Mac, and leave it in the dock.

Ah right. Haven't used Windows for a long time! But can't you achieve the same thing with Screen Saver configured to use a hot corner and password?

b e n

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
While this seems like a look-and-feel app that does the same thing as going to the login window or open screensaver while needing a password to get back in, I thought I just wanted to throw these out there:
Dockables combined with Quicksilver or Launchbar are much more versatile and has the same functionality as the famous Windows-L combo.

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
Have you tried bypassing the lock using Apple+option+escape and force quitting it? Just interested if that would work, since it is just a normal app, and only trying to fool people into thinking that it is locked.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Ah right. Haven't used Windows for a long time! But can't you achieve the same thing with Screen Saver configured to use a hot corner and password?

b e n

Quoted for extreme truth. Simple, effective, built-in.

The only problem is, what if you accidentally hit that hotcorner, it could become bothersome quickly. I have 3 of my 4 corners hot cornered (expose, spaces, and sleep display) and I find that 1 out of every 5 times or so I accidently go too far and activate the corner. Especially when using spotlight, or when trying to change from the iTunes miniplayer to full window (its in the bottom left hand corner)

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC

Yep. To make it better, save the following Applescript code as a script in /Library/Scripts (I call it Lock) and then assign a keyboard shortcut (Trigger) in Quicksilver to execute this script. I use Command+Option+L

Code:
do shell script "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\\ Extras/User.menu/Contents/Resources/CGSession -suspend"
Be sure to include Scripts in your catalog and rescan to see your new script.

Who needs an app?

allbrokeup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Experimenting with the Shell Script in version 2 to be public (version one is for me :D) I have tied in the Shell Script with my iFaceless 2.0 to open up the app. iFaceless is set at 0.1 opacity and Locks when Command+Option+L is pressed. It calls the Shell Script, suspending the User (or so I gathered :D). There is also a Volume Bezel in the Launcher that sets the system volume so you don't have to unlock to Change the iTunes Volume either, although I think I may axe that upon release.

Let me know what you think.

allbrokeup.

allbrokeup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Update 2 - Someone asked whether it would force quit. Sadly no, I made it Quit Finder through an AppleScript and relaunch it upon Unlock. You cant Quit it via Cmd+Q either! :D

allbrokeup.

allbrokeup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Update 3 - Somebody asked about Quartz Backgrounds, It uses an 'Aurora.qtz' File in the Resources Package installed into ~/Library. Simply rename a custom .qtz to 'Aurora.qtz' and drag it into the mentioned folder. It will show up as the Background.

allbrokeup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.