Now this is innovation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dontazemebro, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

2. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

I saw this yesterday, very cool. Look at how bulky it is though, seems like we are many many years off from it actually being incorporated into a phone.

3. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

But how much wear will it give the battery? Batteries last longer with slower current charges. Doing this burst charge on a constant basis will definitely shorten lifetime of battery. But as an emergency boost, yeah goo idea.

4. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Theres been dozens of these amazing new batteries over the last few years. Precisely none have made it into our hands yet.

5. Dontazemebro thread starter macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Weren't those based off different technologies? i don't believe we've seen anything based off of bio-organic technology though.

Although you're right about one thing, we're still looking at at a 3 year window. :(

6. businezguy macrumors 6502

A technology like this would have me buy a new phone the moment it comes out. What frustrated me is seeing a company like this attempt to innovate but only having $6.25 million to work with. Why does the world economy have such a hard time providing R&D funds to technologies that have so much potential, particularly battery technology? The oil industry does a good job of lobbying Washington, for instance, and I get that, but why is the private sector so short sited? At this point we should have technology like this available for phones, and be on our way to providing similar technology for cars. I'm not saying cars should be 100 percent free of oil yet, but for God sakes why can't we manage to make today's car technology more affordable?

Okay, sorry for going off topic and discussing batteries for cars, but the fact is companies like this are really doing more then phone innovation when they try to invent technology like this, whether they meant to or not.

7. zamudiovsky macrumors regular

I don't think it's a new battery, I believe the bulky part is the charger, it could be like a charging dock.

What I would be afraid of would be to forget I plugged it in and have the phone charge for an hour with that power going through the phone, it could kill the battery!

8. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

This was also shown to put a lot of stress on the Li-Ion cells causing premature aging

9. Dontazemebro thread starter macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Which is probably why it's still 3 years away from reaching fruition. Just the thought of going to full capacity in 30 secs is astounding though.

10. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I saw something about a girl that had some technology that could do it in 7 seconds, but hey, id take 5-10 minutes and that would still be amazing.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

It seems like she is mentioned toward the end of the article.

12. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

she will be very, very wealthy.

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I can't wait To hear every one complain about how faster there charger dies
    "Every time I charge my phone the charger dies!" :D

14. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

We need to develop better batteries that last longer.There hasn't been many breakthroughs in battery technology.I hope someone good is throwing a crapload of money at this

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

16. Dontazemebro thread starter macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

17. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Well yes but there seems to be lots of uses that want for fast charge batteries as well.

Would think something like this while cool for a smartphone would have more commercial potential in Hybrid cars and such where they can big bursts of energy from deceleration.

Although Fast-charge and wireless power could be a good combo. Have a charge zone at your door so every time you walk out of the house or back in everything with gets charged.

18. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

the real money is at hybrid cars. imagine getting a full charge done in about the same time it takes to fill a normal tank.. that would be a game changer.