Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
OK I know it's over the top, and it's only a concept at this point. But sharp did put out the aquos which had almost no bezels, so maybe this becomes a real product one day. They also mention the tech being able to do something like an all round smartphone, impractical but still kind of cool.

And yeah false touches, somewhere to hold it in landscape mode, blah blah. I've been VERY impressed with the lack of false touches on my Note 7. But hey, if you like bezels then who am I to judge.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/7/13197354/sharp-corner-r-curved-screen-phone-concept
untitled.png

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
When Jony Ive said he wanted the iPhone's design to appear like an infinity pool back in 2007, this is what he meant.

Actually he meant just the glass, but a screen like this wasn't really an option back. Anyway, this will probably be something for future iPhones.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Sharp has been ahead of the pack years ago when they had the Sharp Aquos XX phones. Unfortunately never sold outside Japan afaik and I'm not sure what kind of battery life they had, but at least the XX Mini was a great phone to hold and looked fantastic. It was basically the non-curved version of that prototype and I wonder why no other manufacturer has done that because it makes sense to me and gives an instantly unique look.

alnz6nsoeansfdviy3wq.jpg

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Sharp has been ahead of the pack years ago when they had the Sharp Aquos XX phones. Unfortunately never sold outside Japan afaik and I'm not sure what kind of battery life they had, but at least the XX Mini was a great phone to hold and looked fantastic. It was basically the non-curved version of that prototype and I wonder why no other manufacturer has done that because it makes sense to me and gives an instantly unique look.

alnz6nsoeansfdviy3wq.jpg

They sold in the US, but only for a Sprint MVNO I believe. If they had it for GSM I would have purchased it in a heartbeat.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
OK I know it's over the top, and it's only a concept at this point. But sharp did put out the aquos which had almost no bezels, so maybe this becomes a real product one day. They also mention the tech being able to do something like an all round smartphone, impractical but still kind of cool.

And yeah false touches, somewhere to hold it in landscape mode, blah blah. I've been VERY impressed with the lack of false touches on my Note 7. But hey, if you like bezels then who am I to judge.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/7/13197354/sharp-corner-r-curved-screen-phone-concept View attachment 663906

Now that's nice!!!!

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/7/13197354/sharp-corner-r-curved-screen-phone-concept View attachment 663906
Is that real? Where is the ear speaker?

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
The ear speaker apparently works as vibrations through the glass. Apparently it works fairly well, too.

This no-bezel movement exists just for making the phone look "sexier," whatever that means, but it definitely negatively affects usability in a major way.

No thanks.

Reactions: nj1266

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
The ear speaker apparently works as vibrations through the glass. Apparently it works fairly well, too.

This no-bezel movement exists just for making the phone look "sexier," whatever that means, but it definitely negatively affects usability in a major way.

No thanks.

Am I alone in placing usability over appearance?

That has yet to be seen. Everyone complained about the Note 7 lack of side bezels, including myself, before it was released. But in my experience I actually have less false touches on my Note 7 than my Note 5. If anything I rarely get false touches, even when holding it with one hand, which was my biggest fear.

I understand some of you want that top bezel for landscape holding, understandable. For me I probably hold my phone in landscape mode 2 or 3 times a year so it doesn't matter for me.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I can only imagine the false touches. :( I mean, I like it, though.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
That has yet to be seen. Everyone complained about the Note 7 lack of side bezels, including myself, before it was released. But in my experience I actually have less false touches on my Note 7 than my Note 5. If anything I rarely get false touches, even when holding it with one hand, which was my biggest fear.

I understand some of you want that top bezel for landscape holding, understandable. For me I probably hold my phone in landscape mode 2 or 3 times a year so it doesn't matter for me.

How about a front facing camera and ear facing speaker for when people make calls? The only phone people bring up as not having a top bezel also has a crappy position fir the FFC.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
How about a front facing camera and ear facing speaker for when people make calls? The only phone people bring up as not having a top bezel also has a crappy position fir the FFC.

From what I understand the camera is on the bottom, yeah not great for some I understand. The speaker, as mentioned before works on vibration. I totally understand this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I love it and would get it in a second. There are advantages as well such as decreased size, but I suppose you would have to weigh that against your other needs.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
From what I understand the camera is on the bottom, yeah not great for some I understand. The speaker, as mentioned before works on vibration. I totally understand this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I love it and would get it in a second. There are advantages as well such as decreased size, but I suppose you would have to weigh that against your other needs.

There are advantages to a smaller size, I agree. And I'm not saying Apple or anyone else shouldn't try it, or people shouldn't buy it. I could also be wrong about t being less usable. It just looks so. I mean, I bought and love my Lumina 950. Some people would say that disqualifies me from critiquing smartphones to begin with.

Reactions: spinedoc77

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
No notification LED, no physical home button, lightbleed at the left side and a bit of the top corner.

Sharp already had a bezelless aquos model, didn't sell well as far as I know. Wouldn't buy that function, usability over form, style for me.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
No notification LED, no physical home button, lightbleed at the left side and a bit of the top corner.

Sharp already had a bezelless aquos model, didn't sell well as far as I know. Wouldn't buy that function, usability over form, style for me.

It's just a concept mainly to show off the screen. Manufacturers can implement it any way they want.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I'm not a fan of no bezels, I think my palm would just be constantly hitting the screen while typing or reaching across. A curse from always gripping my phone hard + fat hands. I actually had that problem when I had a OnePlus 3 :(

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Less wasted bezel is good but so is symmetry. Instead of a large chin I prefer they center the screen so bezel is even on all four sides.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.