Now this was weird - is my MacBook electrocuting me?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by johneaston, Apr 7, 2011.

  1. johneaston macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2010
    #1
    Me and my partner were sitting on the sofa, each of us with a MacBook Pro on our laps. My boyfriend started to stroke the back of my neck which we both noticed felt really weird.

    After much trial and error, we realised that it stopped if either of our Macs' power adaptors were removed.

    Does this mean that, when using my Mac, I'm being mildly electrocuted?!
     
  2. Casey01 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #2
    I'm not a hardware expert on macs but I've read that it's common for a Macbook Pro to cause small static electricity. I myself have been shocked once. It could also be a grounding issue.
     
  3. LazyMacGuy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2011
    Location:
    UK
    #3
    Casey is right, its just static unless its a serious shock in which case you should get it checked out. Small shocks are just part of having a metal case.
     
  4. Ceemac44 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2011
    #4
    Just a little technical point and I don't want to sound like a smartarse!

    Electrocution means you die so since you were able to post a thread here I'd guess you're still alive!

    Still, I imagine it was rather a shocking experience for you :p

    C
     

Share This Page