Now upgrade eligible for new customer pricing on 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by protekt0r, Aug 10, 2009.

1. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

Anyone looking to get new customer pricing on the 3GS and wasn't upgrade eligible for that pricing might want to check again. I just rechecked my upgrade pricing and it's now $199/$299 (down from $399/$499 in july). ATT also told me (in july) that I wasn't eligible for the new customer pricing until December.

So check your upgrade status on ATT's website, it might've changed.

2. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Gee, thanks for posting this!
    I wasn't eligible for upgrade pricing until December and your post made me go check my account and they moved me up to August 23!
    LESS THAN 2 WEEKS FROM NOW!
    THANKS SOOOOO MUCH!
    Gettin' one!
    :D:D:D

3. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Mine still says 12/28/09. No big deal, I'd rather wait to see what the next phone brings in June.

4. protekt0r thread starter macrumors regular

protekt0r

glad to hear i'm not the only one! ;-)

5. protekt0r thread starter macrumors regular

protekt0r

out of curiosity, when did u get your 3G? Also, how much do you spend a month on your iPhone line? i'm wondering if att changed their upgrade policy again OR if it's just a fluke.

6. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Buy this one in December; buy next one in June; sell this one in June at cost of new one.

7. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Ordered July 18th, 2008. Activated July 28th.
    My bill was in the mid/high $90 range for a while, with a 5% FAN discount. Then I changed from 1500 txts to unlimited because of the girl I was seeing, and my bill went to right at $100 (still with 5% discount).

Meh, I can deal. I have a crap job right now because of the economy and I'm in school. Next summer I'll hopefully be in the police academy and will once again be able to afford the luxuries I could when I worked at the Porsche dealership.

8. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

This happened to me a month ago. I went in to see how much it would cost me even thoguh I had only been a customer for 10 months. And sure enough I was eligible for the cheaper pricing.

The Apple guy let me in on why it's the case though:

"A weird flaw in the contract says that iPhone 3G owners who have paid over $100 a month for their phone bill, for at least 4 months of their contract, are automatically eligible for the cheaper pricing on the 3GS."

This has held true for me and 4 of my friends.

So those of you who have 6+ months left until they are eligible to upgrade, just upgrade your plan to be over $100 a month for the next 4 months and you should be set.

9. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

If this is true, I'm pissed. I had the same problem, but upgraded early. Apparently you have two wait 18 months to get the subsidized price if you're not the primary number on the account. I upgraded a few months ago for $500.

10. nickpro macrumors regular

the real question is - who still has the 3GS "itch" after waiting a couple months since its release?? i'm leaning towards waiting for the 4th gen at this point myself...

11. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Me too, I wanna see what June brings.

12. Pooshka macrumors 65816

I will be too. :mad:

For those of us who have already upgraded for 399/499, how can we find out what the standard upgrade date would have been at this point?

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've been eligible since July, I just haven't bought yet. No reason except I wanted to let the spazoids figure out what defects there were and then decide if they mattered to a rational person. :)

14. 2000m macrumors member

2000m

my bill comes to 99.98 a month every month

15. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

I pretty much get an upgrade every month or so. Love my premier account.

16. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

How do you get that? The account that is.

17. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

18. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

My date hasn't changed even though my AT&T bill is running around $150 per month. Date is still next March. No big deal as I'd rather wait and see what the next iPhone is like. There is not enough new features with the GS to want me to upgrade even if I could.

Plus if Apple comes out with a Tablet (which I will buy for certain); I may go back to using just a regular old cell phone.

19. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

haha, I'm sorry dude. Add something minor to your account to up the bill a couple bucks.

20. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

I was under the impression that it was required features, and did not include txting plan, early nights/weekends, taxes, etc. I know that at the very least, taxes and surcharges are not included, it is your bill before all that. That would mean he would have to add a bunch of stuff to get his bill high enough.

Required for iPhone: Voice plan, data plan.
    So if your voice plan was $70/month or more, and you have just the basic data plan at $30/month, you're eligible.