Now upgrading to lion will it slow the whole macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shitoyama, Oct 18, 2011.

1. shitoyama macrumors member

Now upgrading to lion will it slow the whole macbook?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

how much RAM do you have

3. shitoyama thread starter macrumors member

4. Icarus73 macrumors regular

5. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Yes.

I have a 13" 2.7 GHz i7 and Lion feels both slower and buggier--windows will occasionally blink out, I sometimes have to double-click more than once to open an application or file, etc.

What Macbook do you have?

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

as said above 4GB is fine, 2GB or less i would say you might expierecne some lag becasue 2GB is the min for Lion

7. r3voLoLwuT macrumors member

There must be a problem with your Mac.

8. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Nope, brand new and perfect.

9. shitoyama thread starter macrumors member

10. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

not if you're slowing down it's not.

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

doesnt sound that perfect if you above issues are true

----------

well cons are dependant on the user, so they can be lots of cons or zero cons

12. Naimfan, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

My point, if you had bothered to understand, is that Lion runs more slowly than does Snow Leopard. This is hardly news--many other people have reported exactly the same thing. For example, while running Lion, my MBP scores an average of 6960 on geekbench, averaged over 10 runs. On Snow Leopard, it averaged 7120 over 10 runs.

Many people have also commented that Lion 10.7.2 is still buggier than is Snow Leopard 10.6.8. That also makes sense--Lion is in an earlier iteration than is Snow Leopard, and when Snow Leopard was at a similar point it, too, was buggier than the OS that preceded it, Leopard.

And yes, the hardware is perfect.

To answer the OP, the cons of changing to Lion are that it runs slightly slower than does Snow Leopard, it consumes more memory and thus leaves less for application use, and it is still buggier than the latest version of Snow Leopard (regardless of how loudly some "fanboys" may scream otherwise). Whether you will notice any of those is impossible to say.

[EDIT] Another con, widely commented on, is a reduction in battery life under Lion.

13. hinkamp macrumors newbie

Based on a lot of posts here, maxing your RAM and doing a clean install is the way to go (if you do upgrade to Lion). In my experience, Lion is really fast and I have not had any bugs with 10.7.2. I do have 8GB of RAM on a early 2011 MBP.

14. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

If you had bothered to explain the first time, I would have understood.

That is one of the disadvantages of lion... I only get ~6 hours when running off battery as opposed to ~7 in SL.

15. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

This has been my experience as well.

Here's an interesting example:
    My brother and I both bought new 13" 2011 MBA's. He ordered first & received one of the last with Snow Leopard. Weeks later I ordered mine which came with Lion. He decided he wanted Lion on his & asked me to perform a clean install for him.

Afterwards we've been doing some comparisons and his is markedly slower doing certain tasks. It's also a bit buggier than mine. It's interesting that the speed difference is so noticeable. I've used macs for years, done dozens of clean installs & his went well. So it's not like there were problems, since it went fast & trouble free.

Also his battery life (when I used it over a two day period) is about 15% to 20% less than mine. While I've not had extensive time to troubleshoot, the bottom line is there's a quite noticeable difference. And in turn my battery life is approx 25% less than Snow Leopard returns.

Based on past experience with major point upgrades of OS X, I'd expect Apple to get this sorted out by 10.7.3.

Time will tell.

As far as mine is concerned it's definitely slower than my 13" 2010 MBA running 10.6.8. So much so, that I've set it aside until the next rev is released.

I greatly prefer SL 10.6.8

16. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I can't help but ask if you performed a SMC reset on the computer that you upgraded, considering how good of a return on battery life that gave me when I did it...

17. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

I directly answered the question posed: Will Lion slow down my Macbook. Yes.

You then disputed my statement that a brand new Macbook Pro could not be perfect if it runs more slowly on Lion than on Snow Leopard, when the performance hit and bugginess of Lion has been extensively discussed.

Rather than accepting what was written as true, you chose, with no personal knowledge or experience, to dispute a statement of fact.

18. ohemgeemad macrumors newbie

So basically... if you just got a macbook pro the other day, then you are forced to use lion?

19. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Well . . .

What I did was to install Snow Leopard on a different HD, update it, and then I replaced the original HD with the Snow Leopard one. Works perfectly on a 2.7 GHz i7 that is all of 2 weeks old and came with Lion.

20. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

ahahaahahahahahahahaha I am laughing so hard. Hoping this doesn't start a flamewar, which it seems like you want, I need to dispute some of this...

I didn't experience any slowdowns at all with my MBP after upgrading to lion. Therefore, while technically the increased idle load does cause a performance hit, real world application makes this only in perception, because of the immense power of MBP's. I haven't felt like my computer is any slower, and in fact mine feels faster with the updated UI.

And what's up with the part about no personal knowledge or experience? That's just a personal attack, and is incorrect because I have run both Lion and SL and I am posting my opinions about them.

21. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

You disputed a statement I made without any personal knowledge of my experience with Lion vs. Snow Leopard. That is an observation, not a personal attack.

What you SHOULD have said was "I have not experienced a reduction in performance while moving from Snow Leopard to Lion." You also could have posted benchmark results, as I did, from your machine on SL and Lion.

You're welcome.