Now we have the pad, could the next iPhone have a larger screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TwoBytes, Jan 30, 2010.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Since the SDK has the scaling of apps, could the next iPhone screen be slightly bigger? A lovely flush glass device... Is this something we'd like or likely to happen?

Personally, i'd like a little more real estate. Especially if the new apps (photos/calender, etc that are revised for the ipad come across)

Discuss! ;)

2. Insilin1i macrumors regular

I doubt it, the iPhone is quite big already any bigger and it will just feel uncomfortable to carry around in a pocket.

3. snatefinch macrumors member

I agree, any bigger the thing will be just awkward to hold to your head. It is the perfect size.

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

They could add a larger screen, and keep the phone the same size. The home button would be smaller though.

5. MTI macrumors 65816

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

they could put in a higher resolution screen. The iPhone resolution on the phone is well crap compared to other phones. For example the blackberry 8900, Tour and 9700 all have the same resolution screen size as the iPhone but the screen itself is smaller.

They could crap a 800x400 screen in there (or something like it) with out changing the phones physical size.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Where would they put the digitizer and the 30-pin connector, microphone, speaker, etc? The bottom of the iPhone isn't empty apart from the home button, you know...

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

That is a given. It will surely be more similar to the Nexus One or Droid. Those screens blow the 3GS out of the water.

9. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I was thinking of the same size as the current phone but the whole surface glass and the home button placed elsewhere.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Uh... like where?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Dawg, your signature is cute, but it needs to go in the signature field instead of the post itself. Simulated signatures are a violation of forum rules.

"Simulated signatures. Signatures must be set in the User Control Panel and not simulated within posts, so that other members can choose whether or not to display them. You may not use automated software such as FoxyTunes Signatunes to insert content into your posts."

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I certainly don't need a larger device in my pocket. The iPhone screen is big enough.

thelatinist you're going to bring this up after he's had the signature for years? :rolleyes:

13. ukcolinr macrumors regular

Just wanted to add that I'm perfectly happy with the size of the screen on the iPhone, in fact i'm perfectly happy with the size of the iPhone in general. I think the iPhone has a larger screen than any other handset I've ever owned. How much bigger would you want it realistically?!? I think you need an iPad heh :)

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Neither do I but who am I to argue? :D

THIS!

15. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Not true. The HTC HD2 is as thin as the iPhone and only a hair longer yet it has a 4.3 inch screen!!! It's so beautiful :)...Apple could easily give the new iPhone at least the same size screen or a little smaller to keep it nearly the same dimensions, here is a comparison picture:

[​IMG]

16. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Vandam500 - thanks. This is what i'm shooting for. Would be just that little nicer to game, browse the net, etc. Now we don't have any issues of app scaling, it's just hardware that can be changed......steve....

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It would be nice to have a screen the size of the HD2, but I'm pretty happy with the iPhone as it is.

18. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Not a problem:) and yes it would be nicer. I have been looking at the HD2 a whole lot and the comparisons with the iPhone I've seen with it when browsing the web is shocking! While the iPhone does show the whole webpage most of the time it's usually unreadable until you zoom in. With the HD2 it shows you the whole page and is completely readable at a glance. Still love my 3GS but the HD2 has to have the best hardware for a mobile phone right now.

I'm happy too with the iPhone screen size but nearly a inch more makes everything a whole lot better:p

19. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

As long as they don't make it smaller. I really like this size a lot now it works perfect for me.

20. rnauman821 macrumors member

I would love if they relocated the home button to the bottom bezel of the phone and made the screen almost full face.

21. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

now we're talking, flush screen full face and HD2 size but of course made by apple. :cool:

22. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

The surface is already all glass :p I'd rather keep the home button on the front but have been thinking for over a year that Apple need to increase the screen size and update the screen's spec in general. Part of why I returned my 3GS. Keeping the old one feels lazy (and like they're ripping off their customers)

Ever since I first saw this phone I've been hoping Apple would put in a similar size screen.

23. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

It's actually thinner than the iPhone and the screen is gorgeous but perhaps a bit too big for some (even though compared to the iPhone, the bezel/ border is tiny). I think a 3.8" screen with a 480p widescreen resolution is the sweet spot.

24. iphonetester macrumors member

Why do we need a home button - this can be replaced with a sensor - swipe the bottom and return to home screen - or smth like that