Now we need ApplePay in Canada! C'mon Apple!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MartyCan, May 10, 2015.

1. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I for one would love to see Apple Pay in Canada. Maybe an announcement timed I. Coordination with WWDC?

I would definitely use my Watch for this and I would switch credit card carriers if mine did not support it. We already have NFC terminals at tons of places.

For the U.S. Readers, Canadian credit cards started using NFC chips a wile ago. We can tap and pay with our cards under certain amounts. Now I want to leave my wallet home!

2. Peepo macrumors 6502a

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/17/apple-pay-canada-november/

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I would guess the ball is in the court of the Canadian banks now. Same with banks in Europe, Australia, and elsewhere in the world.

Unfortunately, I feel Apple will have a harder time negotiating with these banks. Apple Pay has much more security over the magnetic swipe cards used in the U.S. and that was sold as a bonus. How does the security stack against chip and pin, which has been a standard for years now? If it isn't much more than chip and pin, you really can't make that a selling point.

4. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

5. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

It IS NFC. Same thing as chip and pin. Most of the readers out there will work just fine with it. It's just getting agreement between Apple and the banks on fees etc (carving up the pound of flesh we give them each month) :)

Apple said they want to have it in Canada for November. I hope the negotiations go well and we enjoy it earlier. I hope it also means that the limits we have for NFC payment are abolished, so we can at least take the plastic out of our wallets.

We need to beat up on our MP's and MPP's to get government to support electronic identification. Let's get our government ID's and passports on our phones!! :)

6. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

As mentioned twice already above. We are getting Apple Pay in Canada this fall with all the major banks. (Should be unlocked in the settings of iOS 9 when its also released this fall.)

7. themikea macrumors regular

themikea

I decided to get a Wells Fargo Visa Debit card when I was in the US and added it to Apple Pay on my iPhone and Apple Watch. I just had to temporarily switch my region on the phone and and the watch app to US and was able to switch it back to Canada after the card was added.

I used Apple Pay on my watch a couple of times while in the US and got to try it at a Tim Hortons in Toronto yesterday. The confused/amazed look from the lady serving me fas funny. Using Apple Pay on the iPhone is nice, but much more of a game changer on the watch IMO.

Can't wait for Canadian cards to be supported. Hopefully it happens in November. Or sooner!

8. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Thanks for the link. Now I do think I remember seeing that article but I did not feel it was a rock solid confirmation that it would happen.