Now What?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vp719, Apr 13, 2007.

  1. vp719 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2007
    #1
    I was planning on getting a Macbook as soon as they updated them all with leopard to take with me this fall to college...now with the delay of leopard, what should i do? i can't afford a $1000 refurb now then the 2000 updated one in 6 months, ideas? -Thanks
     
  2. wordmunger macrumors 603

    wordmunger

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2003
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #2
    You know, sticking with Tiger won't be a bad idea for your first year of college. Most colleges aren't going to support the new OS right away anyway, so you'll be compatible with more people using Tiger than if you were on Leopard right away.

    Just buy your new computer with enough time to get used to it before school starts (at least a month). You'll be fine.
     
  3. sonarghost macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    #3
    Believe me vp719 I understand where you are comming from but you have to realize that Tiger is still very powerful and could probably last you quite some time till you are ready to upgrade. I also can fall for the "gear lust" syndrome as well but if you need it now get it now and upgrade later. It will be a little while before all of your apps can fully utilize to the new system (some may not be fully compatible too) and you wont have to deal with any of the release bugs either.:D
     
  4. SalukiWildcat macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2007
    #4
    Get the MacBook now. You'll be completely familiar with the interface and OSX by the time you get to college, and heck, who doesn't like getting a graduation gift for themselves?

    Just make sure that you get the Core 2 Duo model, so you can take full advantage of Leopard and its 64 bit sexiness when it comes out. :)
     
  5. andrewag macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Location:
    Australia
    #5
    Buy it now if you want it. I know forking out more cash for Leopard when it comes out is unappealing, but a computer is more exciting.

    With the release in October it's not like you're in the "omg it's so close to being released i'm going to be ripped off" stage.
     
  6. FireArse macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2004
    #6
    im in the Uk

    and im eyeing up refurb 12 PB's Direct from Apple USA :)

    Thats what il get next, along with a nice NY break :)
     
  7. vp719 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2007
    #7
    Thanks everyone, looks like i'll be getting a macbook w/ tiger than one of these days. Should i wait until WWTC though to see what updates are made there? and how about this Santa Rosa - will that be changing the mb's any time soon?
     
  8. icrude macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    #8
    i don't get it.....why do you think the laptops in the future with leopard will be so much better than what is available today?
     
  9. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2004
    #9
    Where is this $2000 figure coming from? Leopard will probably be $129. Go for the $1000 refurb now, and then spend $129 when Leopard is released. (Yes, you can do it...save $1 per day starting now. There, done, by the time Leopard is released, you have enough to buy it and plenty to spare!)

    Edit: never mind, I see you're getting the Mac. There ya go!

    --Eric
     
  10. vp719 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2007
    #10
    I just assumed that after the leopard release apple would in turn update their mb and mbp lines, better processors, memory, etc, but i could be wrong - thats why i'm here. I guess i just figured that a current mb w/ leopard loaded onto it in a few months wouldnt be as good as the line of mb's they'd have going once leopard is released
     
  11. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

    dartzorichalcos

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    Location:
    Atlantis
    #11
    That might be with Penryn. With recent rumors, Leopard might be released in October and if Apple is going to release Leopard in October they might as well wait for Penryn. I don't think Apple is going to use the first Santa Rosa platform, they are probably waiting for Penryn with Santa Rosa which will be a big update.
     
  12. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2006
    Location:
    Raleigh
    #12
    macbook probably won't get another hardware upgrade until a few months AFTER leopard comes out
     
  13. vp719 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2007
    #13
    So how long do you think until Penryn? - Thanks
     
  14. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

    dartzorichalcos

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    Location:
    Atlantis
    #14
    Check this and this for more information about Penryn.
     

Share This Page