Now What?!?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ayeplussjr, Jan 6, 2009.

1. ayeplussjr macrumors regular

Yeah...the keynote blows. I was waiting for any kind of news for the iMac, but nothing...not one bit of news. I'm thinking of just going out and buying one of the current lineups for the iMac, but I just don't know. I need a computer soon, but I'm wondering if any new iMac's with the NVIDIA chipset as rumors mentioned will be shipping any time soon. This will be my first iMac, and I don't know if I should keep waiting. Would you guys hold off a little bit longer?

2. ritzuk macrumors member

No kidding, this was the worst Macworld Expo ever... why release a load of software and no new machines to use it on? And don't count the 17" Macbook Pro - it's almost the same machine they released in October but bigger.

Seriously, I'm not buying new software to use on a PowerPC iMac.

ANYWAY

I'd wait. While the current range of iMacs perform well, they are woefully under-specced for the cost. The top of the range iMac is by far the only iMac to consider in the current line up.

Hold out for the new ones - hopefully Snow Leopard will ship with them too.

3. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

Can't agree more that MW was disappointing.

I don't know whether to buy now and possibly face more disappointment or wait for an undisclosed amount of time for new iMacs. Waiting may well be the option for me, I've been waiting long enough as it is. My advise is to wait, but it depends on your need too.

4. ritzuk macrumors member

That's good advice.

5. Brandonmeier macrumors newbie

Im in the same boat. I am soooo pissed off words cant even describe it. I almost threw my Iphone up against the wall...Worst Macworld of all time.

6. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

same here, been waiting on this for months for news of a new imac and nothing:mad::mad::mad:
    dont think I can wait much longer. 24" for me:rolleyes:

7. akbc macrumors 6502

Maybe the MWSF keynote was their evil scheme of getting rid of all the left over previous gen imac/mac mini's lol.
    With people sad about the announcements and buying the refurbs/clearance items, I'd say they've done a fine job. IF that was their intention :)

8. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I bought my iMac in Feb of last year right before the new ones came out in April, and while I love my iMac, I wish I would've held off another 2 months. So that's my suggestion.

I also wish I would've spent the extra money on the midrange for the better video card, because I just happened to get into PC gaming again right after I got my new computer. But alas.

9. macaddictann macrumors member

I would have liked it if they'd improved the iMacs, but I couldn't wait, personally, as I'm computer-less. So I called them up today (and what's with that cheesy fake menu guy on their phone line?) and ordered.

And I'm sure they'll put out some sort of glorious iMac soon, one with NVIDIA chips and a built-in cappuccino machine and who-knows-what, but that's life. I don't know that I'd want to be wringing my hands for a month (or more) and offering sacrifices to my old computer to keep it functioning until the time came.

Of course, if your current machine isn't at death's door, it's a different issue. :)

R.I.P. Powerbook G4
    2001-2009

10. ayeplussjr thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah....I'm tired of waiting. I know I might be disappointed, but I'm probably going to end up purchasing a 24in. as well. I don't know how long I can hold off.

Here is my thinking...iLife and iWork are both scheduled to be released at the end of the month. Since both software is being shipped with the iMac's there may be an update along with the release of the two software. In a way that kind of makes sense, doesn't it? I don't know...i'm a Mac newb, so I may not know what I'm talking about. What do you guys think? Do you guys think that the iMac's will be updated when iLife and iWork ship? Or, do you think it probably won't be for another 4-5 mos before we see an update with the iMac?

11. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

I just want a Flippin mini, ive always wanted one from the g4s but always ended up with something else and now that the minis are worth getting (when they come out :() and i was going to see if it is actually worth getting unfortinitly i have to wait!! and yes i would rather not want to get ilive 09 and have ot install it on my current machine.

12. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    :)yep, until the end of Feb. we are being weened off Mac World to the new way things will be released, without rhyme or reason, when ever they damn well please, which, as I point out, their abject right. I believe they HATE all the pre CES speculation. In the end, time will tell if it's a smart move.

13. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Good Lord, chill!:cool:

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

15. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

exactly, enjoy your new iMac:D

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Well that depends on your needs, now doesn't it? I bought a 20" 2.66 ghz imac back in the summer, and I quite rarely use even close to 100% of its power. I'm not sure what more a typical consumer (internet, email, ilife, some games, some photos, etc.) would get out of an upgraded imac except maybe some more useful life a few years from now.

17. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

updates, will be at Apples discretion, whenever they damn well please. It'll piss off a lot of folks, I can wait for a quad core i-Mac, with a new MBA:D:D.
    Just re-arranged the priorities, my EOL BMB 2.2 will continue on as my desktop. I feel like a dog waiting at the table for scraps.:(

18. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Well if you get a new mac you can always upgrade to ilife 09 for $9.95 and im not sure about snowleopard yet

19. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

I was sooo disappointed with this keynote. My iMac is dying on me and i need one that can game without breaking the bank. I would consider building a hackintosh, but then there is the problem of compatibility.

20. iMacmatician macrumors 601

There have been product updates in late January and late February, as well as at least one event in late Feb. Consider waiting until then.

21. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I had previously been holding out for a Mac Pro, then decided I would buy an iMac because they were sure to be updated at Macworld...then I thought, well if they don't update the iMac, I'll buy the updated Mini to tide me over...now they haven't updated any of them...what a flippin joke!!!

Seriously, I wouldn't give Apple the satisfaction of me spending my hard earned money on their outdated hardware. Looks like I'll have to make do with my 2.16GHz Macbook :(

22. NEiMac macrumors regular

Two things really annoy me about this macworld, first and foremost the no Mac Mini update. This is such a cool little computer and such a great way to introduce people to Apple products let alone the media uses and apple just neglects the thing. The second thing is the 17" macbook pro, I'll never own the thing but why would you make a laptop that expensive that people cant replace battery on?:rolleyes:

23. Wooglin macrumors newbie

I'm done waiting. I am getting my first apple computer for a christmas present, and I convinced myself to wait (with the help of this rumor site) until this keynote. After educating myself I really expected an update for the iMac. It is logical.
    However, I'm totally done waiting. It's not that I need one now, I've got an okay windows laptop, but I've been so psyched to get my hands on an apple and try a new operating system and way of thinking about computers. I convinced myself to wait, but I can't contain myself to wait any longer-- come friday I'll order a top of the line 24 iMac.

24. MacTraveller macrumors regular

Your logic doesn't make much sense. If you say you currently have an OK laptop right now (which is holding you for now), and you admit you really don't need (a new computer) RIGHT NOW, and you've waited patiently for an upcoming latest and greatest iMac for so long.... then would another couple months wait kill you?

25. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Where have you been?

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/17inch-battery/