"Now when will they update the MBP" Thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lhotka, Jun 9, 2008.

1. lhotka macrumors regular

Ok - now that the WWDC keynote is over (and all about the toy...er, iPhone), how many of us are going to stop waiting and go out and buy a MBP? Or are you waiting (however long it takes Apple to pay attention to us again) for the refresh?

2. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

waiting...

... for updated chipset and Blu ray so I will say 2nd -3rd quarter 2009 :apple:

3. Nikklaus macrumors member

4. Glueeater macrumors regular

Knowing Montevina is coming in a monthish, why would you purchase a laptop unless you are in DIRE need?

5. kwfl macrumors 6502

MBP was more of wanted rather than expected. I am not shocked at this stage.

6. lhotka thread starter macrumors regular

Assuming that Apple's going to announce a new MBP when it arrives.

Three possibilties:

1) Slipstream / silent update. Possibly, but that means no redesign.
    2) Special event for a MBP update. Unlikely unless there's a redesign.
    3) Wait until the next big event (October if I remember right). Possibly.

My MBP is getting flaky (HW, not SW), so I've been waiting for the refresh to buy a new one (hoping for at least a better screen). Now I'll wait until either this one dies (so I can get it repaired and sell it), or new ones come out - whenever that is.

Gut feel: Silent/slipstream update in late July, only new CPU and memory bus, no redesign, no new screen. Redesign maybe in January, possibly not until Q1/10 with Nethlam (or however it's spelled).

Bummer Apple - you missed out on Q2 revenue.

7. MarkF44 macrumors member

MBP as been updated a few month ago, why peoples want it to be redesigned asap ?

It is a wonderful laptop, amazing LED screen, top performer, huge battery life (thanks to LED and penryn). multitouch pad....

yes it lacks bluray, and then ? Nobody is perfect.

8. lhotka thread starter macrumors regular

Except for the yellow banding problem (that still exists on brand-new units), and low resolution on the 15" model.

9. MarkF44 macrumors member

I owned a MBA, not happy with this "air" design, I've switched to the MBP but I've read those screens issue. I was really afraid of that.
    But I've never owned such a nice LCD screen.
    I have the matte version, not the glossy one. So I don't think there is a global screen issue with MBP, some peoples have bad batches of screens, it does not mean that all new MBP has issues, mine is brand new.

10. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Bleh.... I have been waiting for this so I could get a new MacBook Pro.... Now I guess I will have to wait just a little longer.

11. cazlar macrumors 6502

I was hoping that it would be updated at WWDC (I was especially hoping that the HDD would be changed to be user-replaceable like the MB). I've got to decide and buy something within the next few weeks though...

12. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

They're probably waiting for Intel to release Montevina. My guess is that they were planning on releasing new MBPs today, but the Montevina slip made that impossible. So...next month, I suppose? Then probably Nehalem based MBPs in Jan or Feb, at the latest.

13. Nikklaus macrumors member

I think I'm echoing the sentiments of everyone by saying that we all wanted new MBPs but basically knew it wasn't gonna happen. All I can say is I hope there's an update before September when I go to art college.

14. lhotka thread starter macrumors regular

Mobile Nehalem is > Q1/09

15. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

me too...

... I hope that intel and Apple gets itself together to update the MB and MBP sooner rather than later. The problem appears to be that "later" is looking like 2nd -3rd quarter 2009...:(

16. beyondthesmile macrumors 6502a

I'll buy whatever MBP is out this fall/winter...probably a Montevina MBP.

17. mxelre macrumors member

mxelre

Same here I'm starting University in september so I'll just buy the one available in august!

18. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

I think a new case will come with battery reasonable BluRay drives. I don't see apple dropping a BluRay drive into a system where you only will get 30 minutes of battery life (which is the case with BluRay laptops right now, 30 minutes is optimistic)

mid-2009 would be a good guess, but to be honest if there is no competition in design from the PC makers we probably will not a case re-design (other than minor tweaks) anytime soon.

For example, I could see them dropping the chicklet keyboard into the systems next summer or earlier, magnetic latches etc. etc.

19. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

That's what, Clarksfield? Yeah, I guess that is Q2 2009. :( Maybe march, then. After all, didn't Intel release a version of Penryn early just for Apple?

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

More like the Macs with Peryn came out almost 2 months after Intel released it.

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You mean Q3 2008, right? Seeing as they're going to be updated next month. No Blu-ray, but they'll be updated next month.

22. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

Tuesday July 15.

I'm buynig before the free ipod touch and printer offer goes away.

I've waited 18 months now and am coming to the point where I actually need to buy so....que sera sera.

23. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

No, 2nd-3rdQ 2009...

- Do not forget that MW2009SF should see an updating of the MBP, MBA as well as any progress made on the Snow Leopard OS. Steve has to have SOMETHING to go into MW2009SF with to tease the :apple: faithfull.:)
    any update in 2008 with the MBP will be a nominal speed bump, not a full refresh.

- It appears that the MB will get the lions share of attention for the remainder of 2008. Aluminum case redesign, bigger tracking pad, etc in time for the US Back to School session and X-Mas season.

- Apple needs more time to work with Blu Ray drives, price drop and tech- know how on battery consumption for notebooks. I am unconvinced that Steve is interested in Blu Ray drives at all; i,e,MBA.

:apple:

24. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

The October event you were referring to was a media event :p. I think another media event would be in order for iPod/notebook computer refreshes. The next "big" event would be MacWorld San Francisco in January, so it is the likeliest that a media event or silent update in Sept/Oct is in order. I just don't see updates coming to the notebooks until the BTS promo is over, Apple has no reason to release new models with the incentive out there already to buy the old models and get a free iPod. They're moving old stock right now.