Now with the iPhone 2.0, will there be...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raymondu999, Jun 21, 2008.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Any OBEX? GMail push? Contact sending via (at least) Bluetooth? What do you think? I can imagine emoze doing a push solution for iPhone.

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

nope
    nope, gmail does not support push, except on one or two helio phones

nope doubt it

its stupid how the bluetooth things are some of the most requested features that even the cheapest of phones have now

3. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Apple wants you to pay for mobile me, so they disable this feature. Dont you get it.

4. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

At least give us voice recognition. I mean, this is Apple we're talking about, right?

5. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

how about 3rd party push? Emoze has a fairly good one.

6. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

I know!!! For crying out loud! We're talking about :apple: here!!! The industry's leading innovator!!

7. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yeah, something to set iPhone apart would be to allow your computer to use it's data abilities. So that when you travel and need your computer to be able to access the internet, as an example, and you don't want to pay for the hotel's internet. Why can't the iPhone be used as a wireless antenna via bluetooth or even its USB hookup? That would be great for everyone, and especially business users.

8. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Unfortunately, MobileMe can't send contacts from one phone to another. :(

9. Type121 macrumors regular

'Cause it's forbidden under the terms of the AT&T contract unless you pay for the Data Connect package.

10. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

That is not something to take up with Apple. This is something that AT&T has forbidden. Yes, it is a smart idea, and a convienant one, therefor, not a free one.

11. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

That wouldn't set the iPhone apart because other phones can currently do that... as long as you pay ANOTHER $30 more a month.

12. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

Untrue. The iPhone lacks any bluetooth profiles outside of headset/handsfree which makes its bluetooth implementation laughable. Sure, AT&T wants you to pay extra to tether your phone with your laptop, and use their data connection; but they don't prevent handset manufacturers from enabling the software tools necessary such as DUN/etc'.

I have many phones bought from AT&T that have this feature, and have used them to connect my MBP to the internet on the road. I don't have a data connect plan either, and used sparingly, it seems they tend to look the other way.

13. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Exactly. Apple can put the bluetooth capabilities in the phone, and then you can pay extra for it. It's not revolutionary, but the speed and just power of the iPhone would be that much better. Something I think they should have included on top of just 3G and GPS not to mention many other things they easily could have done. A year and that's all they changed? Could have been better, but what are you going to do...

14. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

The lack of BT connectivity is a software issue, and could theoretically be implemented through a firmware update. It wouldn't be simply an "iPhone 3G" feature.

15. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Are you sure? I thought the original iPhone does not have the physical hardware to have this ability?

16. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

The BlueTooth stack on the iPhone supports all 25 (I believe that's the number) BT profiles, but the iPhone software just doesn't include those profiles.

17. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Really? Cool. Is it possible for a hack to make use of any of those profiles? I'm confident a 3rd party app wont be allowed to.

18. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I'm not sure. I really have no programming knowledge, and nobody seems to have done it yet.
    In theory, it should be possible.

19. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Grrr... at least give us contact transfer via bluetooth!!! For crying out loud!!!:p

20. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yeah I wouldn't mind that at all... :rolleyes:

21. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yeah I wouldn't mind that at all... :)

22. gilirock macrumors newbie

emoze for iPhone - Installation guide

Hello all,

These days emoze is developing a unique client for iPhone, but for now you can use the installation guide which demonstrates how to push your Outlook or Lotus Notes account to your iPhone.

Installation guide - emoze Push Email for iPhone

Enjoy,

Gilirock.

23. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

its called tethering, its been discussed on about 10,425+ threads

24. smokeonit macrumors newbie

smokeonit

the bluetooth stack in the iphone: "BLUEmagic Bluetooth stack"

source: http://tlrobinson.net/blog/?p=24]

"GPS
    A built in GPS receiver in the iPhone would be the ideal solution, but of course this is out of the question at least until iPhone “2.0″ (wink wink Apple).

Bluetooth GPS support for the iPhone would be awesome as well. It would require the Bluetooth serial port profile, which I would be surprised if the iPhone already has. iPhone uses the BLUEmagic Bluetooth stack which is “modular”… it’s unlikely that Apple would pay for unnecessary modules or include them if they did. Maybe someone could port an existing open source Bluetooth stack to the iPhone (Bluez, perhaps? OS X probably isn’t similar enough to Linux for that to be easy). Worst case, we could use a laptop as the missing link (iPhone -> WiFi -> laptop <- serial/USB/bluetooth <- GPS) but that seems like a really poor solution. Maybe iPhone <- serial <- GPS?"