now you see it...now you don't

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mahone660712, Feb 12, 2009.

1. mahone660712 macrumors newbie

hi everyone i've been reading these forums for a while now & have picked up some useful hints & tips.....

now i need your help.... my 1st gen 8gb ipod touch which is over 1 year old is playing hide & seek while connected to the pc, this started about 3 weeks ago. it would show in i-tunes, it would sync then after about 5 minutes it would vanish then reappear, then go through all this again freezing i-tunes in the process.i tried other usb ports changed the connector this culminated in all the music on it vanishing. left me no option than to restore....thought this had sorted the problem. alas no it worked fine for a week now i've a feeling of deja vu.

any suggestions...is it i-tunes or the ipod?

2. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I think it's the iPod, my brother in law had one of the old HP iPod with color screen models. It did the same thing, and it did it to every computer it was connected to. He bought a new iPod Classic and no such troubles (suggesting it wasn't a problem with iTunes).

SLC

3. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

What about the cable? Have you tried a different one from a friends/family members iPod? It could be some loose wires in there or something. If it messes up with a different cable, I'd guess it's the dock connector in the iPod.

4. mahone660712 thread starter macrumors newbie

tried a brand new cable...also tried the cable with my seriously abused i pod classic so the cables are fine.

5. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

I'm not sure this will help or not... When I first got my 2g I had it hooked up to my computer via USB hub (powered) and it kept doing the same thing (minus the iTunes freezing) and when I moved the USB connection to a direct USB hub on my computer the problem vanished.

So are you using a hub? If so, try plugging in directly and see if it rectifies the problem.

6. mahone660712 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks heather it is plugged directly into the pc i've tried each of the 6 possibles