NPD Numbers in PS3 Surges Updated numbers for October.

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by macfan881, Oct 19, 2009.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

with the price drop fully underway in September the ps3 sold almost more than half a million systems passing the 360 and Wii in the US. With the linup the PS3 has this holiday season till febuary the PS3 I think will continue to surge

Final Numbers are following

* PlayStation 2 146.0K
    * PlayStation 3 491.8K
    * PSP 190.4K
    * Xbox 360 352.6K
    * Wii 462.8K
    * Nintendo DS 524.2K
    http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/10/19/september-npd-numbers-revealed/

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats kinda surprising and good as im a ps3 owner:)

3. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

yeah actaully surprised about the ps3 surpasing wii it will be intresting to see what this will do next month with the wiis price drop

4. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I think the price drop will make a huge impact in the long run. A lot of people wanted a ps3 but were waiting uNtil it hit $300. I dont think they all bought a ps3 last month, so this should keep some momentum for Sony.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

This is not a dig at Sony before anyone starts, but a realistic overview of those figures.

It is hardly surprising as they relaunched their console. The fact both 360 & Wii still sold 360/460k is good news for them likewise given they haven't re-released their hardware.

It will be whether or not Sony can sustain momentum awarded to them by their hardware refresh, or whether they squander it. That being said I think they have the best holiday lineup this year so as long as Mr.Marketing does his job correctly they should continue to do well.

Next months NPD expect the psp to suddenly have leaped up the charts also given it's relaunch & rebranding.

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

also it will have the wii going back up again with it's october price drop
    what exactly did the Wii bring in September ? the xbox rose because of Halo+price drops, the ps3 with relaunch and lower prices and yet the ps3 just barely beat the Wii

gonna be interesting christmas that's for sure

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The exact same thing happens every time there's a price drop for every console since the invention of time and space. It's not something that will "continue to surge" by any stretch of the imagination. Next month it will be business as usual (although maybe Microsoft will have the edge with the "super elite", bah name!).

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

as long it's not the " Super Elite Versus Turbo Underground Mega Edition Hyper HD"

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I think they will be fine...the thing has sold more than a million worldwide since its launch and its still in abundance. I'm certain Sony sees the demand and have their factories pump up the volume for the holiday rush because the PS3 is in high demand this season and with some of the top software exclusive this year they should be good.

Sony PS3 ads have been top this time around not to mention have frequent air time..kinda reminds me of the old PS2 days with those brilliant Ratchet N Clank ads.

Bless

11. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah I have seen a good share of PS3 ads during NFL Games and ive seen atleast 1 or 2 ads during evry mlb play off game as well. Im sure to sony will kick it up even more once the holiday shoping season kicks off

12. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

Second Straight Month the PS3 outsells the 360 acording to the numbers from NPD.

PlayStation 2 117.8K
    PlayStation 3 320.6K
    PSP 174.6K
    Xbox 360 249.7K
    Wii 506.9K
    Nintendo DS 457.6K

System numbers im surprise how much the wii went up but im sure everyone is getting one before for the holiday rush and Game Sales were a shocker

UNCHARTED 2: AMONG THIEVES (PS3; Oct-09) 537,000
    WII FIT PLUS* (WII; Oct-09) 441,000
    BORDERLANDS (360; Oct-09) 418,000
    WII SPORTS RESORT* (WII; Jul-09) 314,000
    NBA 2K10* (360; Oct-09) 311,000
    HALO 3: ODST (360; Sep-09) 271,000
    NBA 2K10* (PS3; Oct-09) 213,000
    FORZA MOTORSPORT 3 (360; Oct-09) 175,000
    KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS (NDS; Sep-09) 169,000
    FIFA SOCCER 10 (360; Oct-09) 156,000

the shock i think is surprising is how little Forza 3 sold boy it floped.
    http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/11/12/october-npd-numbers-revealed/

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Wow, Borderlands did outstanding for the 360. Only 100k less than Uncharted, arguable Sorny's biggest game of the year.

Happy that the PStrois sold so well, but it would be nice to see some better game sales, 360 takes 5 of the top 10...

14. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

I'm glad to see that Sony is finally doing well! They deserve it. I'm actually quite surprised to see that Sony has topped MS, not only in hardware sales, but software sales. I didn't think Uncharted 2 would be the top for the month.

Halo 3: ODST probably didn't sell as well as MS would have hoped. I'm sure people have realized that it's nothing more than an expansion pack, not a full game. And besides, COD Modern Warfare 2 has taken the crown for the most popular FPS. Halo now seems dead in the water. Looks like Forza tanked as well. I wonder how GT5 will do when it's finally released.

We have more PS3 titles to look forward to in the next year. God of War, GT5, FFXIII, etc, it's gonna be a great year for the PS3!

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And when that happens we'll also have good exclusive titles for Xbox, DS, Wii, PSP, PC... It's a never ending cycle (thankfully). It's also quite funny how they create competing products. I mean
    God of War = Dante's Inferno
    GT5 = Forza 3
    FFXIII = FFXIII
    MGS4 = that elusive SC game with a number I've forgotten.

So yea. It was business as usual. I'd imagine the numbers would fall back to how they were months before but with Christmas coming up... you never know!

16. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I dont mean to start a pissing match, but Dante's inferno is for all platforms so its not going to hurt sony at all, and i dont think anyway is going to buy DI instead of GoW3.
    The numbers show that Forza 3 didnt do so well. Maybe people are growing out of racing games and GT5 will flop too, but the ps3 is pretty big in europe and the euro guys love racing games. Not to mention that GT5 has tons more modes, tracks, and cars than anything ever made.
    FFXIII = FFXIII. Can't argue with that ;)

Heavy Rain is probably the game i'm loking forward to most next spring, and that is saying a lot because i am a huge GT and GoW fan.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I would. I prefer the mythology behind DI, infact that whole Divine Comedy has been a minor obsession of mine since college. Played GoW on the PSP and wasn't interested enough to complete it.

18. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I'm one of the new PS3 converts actually but I bought it primarily for the Blu-ray player which I suspect is one of the reasons why the 360 beats the PS3 on game sales.

I'm lucky I did get the PS3 as my second 360 has just got the RRoD. Bah, straight after MW2 was released and after I had renewed Xbox Live too. It's a conspiracy I tell you!

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm going to be real but Borderlands sold that well on the 360 because the machine didn't have anything else to feed on:p ....although borderlands deserves the credit for being a good game.

I'm glad to see Uncharted hitting that million mark in 1 month...Naughty Dog deserves the attention its getting(should be a lot more than this idiot PS3 users). I really wish another gem and MY GOTY Demon's Souls actually did better but it did do good(in scores as well) for such a niche title.

Kudos GearBox, Naughty Dog, From Software/Sony Japan Studios/Atlus

wait....wheres the GT killer? I'm only joking guys don't fanboy me

Bless

20. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Isn't this a nice reminder that Sony *DID* introduce a new PSP October 1st and Nintendo announced an updated DSi as forthcoming, somtheing that should have slowed the DS and accelerated the PSP.

So is it too early to proclaim the PSP Go as a dismal commercial failure yet?

21. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

So what are the lifetime sales numbers now? I assume it’s still Wii, XBOX 360 and then PS3? I’m sort of surprised the Wii’s sales figures are that high for October. You would think everyone owns one by now. All the gaming/tech press has been hollering doom and gloom for it over the last few months. Even Nintendo has been down on it somewhat.

22. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

Well the price cut did come at the end of September and I'm sure since there in stock now everyone is trying to get a copy now before the holidays and everyone is thinkin there will be another shortage.

23. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Yeah, its still Wii>360>ps3. I often wonder about the installed user base more than the sales numbers. Many people have had to buy multiple 360s due to failures and im sure that inflates the sales a bit. Imo, the Slim is what Sony needed to push the ps3 to the top over the next year. That and their new (aka not terrible) ad campaign.