NPR App crashes to home screen

1969cj5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Anyone else having the NPR app problem of it crashing back to the home screen? It worked fine the first day and now it doesn't.

Tharian

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
I've noticed the same problem. Eventually it works, but it was crashing 2-3 times before loading last night and this morning.

-d

sweetpva

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
NPR news app broken

I've used this app frequently and for some time. It just started crashing as you described a few days ago. Have been unable to access despite repeated attempts, updating app and hard-rebooting iPhone. If you find solution, please post. Thanks.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Solution: posted by bottlerocket;
Delete app and reinstall.
Worked for me.
Not for me. What I've found is that the local stations work fine but I cannot do a search for other stations. When I do so, it crashes. I do seem to be able to play the hourly news and selected programs, however.

By the way, the Bottlerocket reference to this fix that I found is from 2009. I think they have more recent problems.

Fortunately, there are alternatives. Both TuneIn Radio and RadioBox have extensive selections of NPR stations.

P.S. Been listening to a local NPR station for about an hour and had the app crash. Looks like the problem is broader than I thought.

Last edited:

Liz1388

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
Links from Home page not loading the article page.

When I first downloaded the NPR tablet version, it worked great. In past few weeks I now find many article links not loading. I get a white screen with NPR header and the twirling gif indicating loading. But nothing more appears.

If I google the title of the article on Safari, I can get it fine, just not from the app. This has become very frustrating.

I emailed NPR about it and they said to delete the app and reload. I've done that three times with no noticeable improvement.

The app does say, Beta, but I wish they'd go back to whatever previous iteration that worked. I just wonder if the current app software focuses on iPad2 to the detriment of iPad1?

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
...I emailed NPR about it and they said to delete the app and reload. I've done that three times with no noticeable improvement.

The app does say, Beta, but I wish they'd go back to whatever previous iteration that worked. I just wonder if the current app software focuses on iPad2 to the detriment of iPad1?
Sadly, NPR doesn't seem to have devoted much effort to the app. The problem of a crashes is unresolved (checked it after I installed iOS 5) and the advice to uninstall and reload seems to be nothing more than a default response.