NSAlert on window load

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by faffoo, Jul 8, 2011.

1. faffoo macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I have an app delegate, and a NSWindowController that I am initialising and allocating with a set up XIB. My question:

I would like to show an NSAlert as a sheet on this new window, as soon as the window is shown. How can i accomplish this?

Regards
    Matt

2. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

Override windowDidLoad in your NSWindowController and show the alert sheet from there.

3. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi there,

When i do that, it shows, but not in a sheet layout. Also, any interface elements I add to the alert that I have set up in a XIB will not be added because at that point for some reason they are still nil.

Any reason why I am not getting the slick animation and the alert showing as a sheet?

All help appreciated
    Matt

4. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

I can only guess. In my SimpleBrowser app, I show an alert if there's no internet connectivity using this technique. Although, it's literally an NSAlert, not a custom sheet. Can you post the relevant code? Particularly when and how you load the sheet.

5. faffoo, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Code:
    NSProgressIndicator *progressIndic = [[NSProgressIndicator alloc] initWithFrame:NSRectFromCGRect(CGRectMake(0, 0, 400, 20))];
        [progressIndic setStyle:NSProgressIndicatorBarStyle];
        [progressIndic startAnimation:nil];
        downloading = [NSAlert alertWithMessageText:@"Getting details" defaultButton:@"Use" alternateButton:nil otherButton:nil informativeTextWithFormat:@"%@", @"We are now attempting to contact our servers, and get your current licensing information. Please wait a moment or two."];
        [downloading setAccessoryView:progressIndic];
        NSButton *button = [[downloading buttons] objectAtIndex:0];
        [button setHidden:YES];
        [downloading beginSheetModalForWindow:[self window] modalDelegate:self didEndSelector:@selector(alertDidEnd:returnCode:contextInfo:) contextInfo:nil];
        [progressIndic release];
    shows the alert view but as a modal, not as the desired sheet i would like.

I removed references to anything in XIB files here as they were all returning nil at this point. But i still need to be able to access controls in the xib file, any ideas when i can do this?

Any ideas?
    Regards
    Matt

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

You could try showing the alert in the showWindow: method (assuming it's being used):

Code:
    - (IBAction)showWindow:(id)sender {
        [super showWindow:sender];

// show your NSAlert here
    }
    Or use windowDidBecomeKey: and show it there, if it's not already visible.

7. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

I found the problem, which may come in helpful for others searching:

In my XIB file i had added a general object and set its class to my controller and connected my controls to the outlets through that control.

I changed that so that the files owner had its class set to my controller and linked things up through that. Now, no problems.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Regards
    Matt