NSCFString EXC_BAD_ACCESS

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Macman1993, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Macman1993, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

Macman1993 macrumors 6502

Macman1993

I'm having serious problems with NSStrings, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Heres what I do.

Load a NSManagedObject out of core data - Works

Make a string object out of the key values of the NSManagedObject - Works

Add the string object to an NSMutableArray - Works

Pull the values out of the NSMutableArray and insert them into table view cells - Does not work, I cannot get proper values so I get an "EXC_BAD_ACCESS" error

Code:
    //LOADING THE VALUES AND PUTTING THEM INTO THE ARRAY

//NAME
    	NSString *fullName = [[object valueForKey:@"firstName"] stringByAppendingString:@" "];
    	fullName = [fullName stringByAppendingString:[object valueForKey:@"lastName"]];

NSString *string = fullName;

[data addObject:string];
    	[labelList addObject:@"Name:"];

[fullName release];

//EMAIL
    	NSString *email = [[object valueForKey:@"username"] stringByAppendingString:@
    					   "@suffieldacademy.org"];

[data addObject:email];
    	[labelList addObject:@"Email:"];

[email release];

Code:
    //INSERTING THE VALUES OF THE ARRAY INTO THE CELLS, THIS OCCURS DURING -cellAtRowForIndexPath
    //NOTE: the textField variable is a UILabel that has been added to the cell, it works perfectly fine if I pass it a value manually (ex: textField.text = @"some string") so it is not the design of the textfield that is causing the problem

int row = [indexPath row];
    NSString *value = [data objectAtIndex:row]; //CAUSES THE ERROR

textField.text = value;
    	textField.tag = row;

The proper values are inserted into the NSMutableArray but they are NSCFString objects, this happens in other instances of my code but I get no problems. The problem happens when I try to pull the values out of the NSMutableArray to use in my table view. Can someone please explain what I'm doing wrong?

2. chown33 macrumors 604

Answer this for the red-hilited code: Do you own the object being released?

If you don't know what ownership means or why it matters, then you need to review the Memory Management guide.
    http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/cocoa/Conceptual/MemoryMgmt/MemoryMgmt.html