NSCFString? (NSTextView subclass)

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by MrFusion, Oct 19, 2007.

1. MrFusion macrumors 6502a

What is NSCFString? I can't find anything useful about it in the documentation, developer.apple and google, but everyone has questions about it.

My problem with it is that I get such a string in my NSTextView subclass in the method insertText:.

I was expecting NSString or NSAttributedstring (or their mutable brothers and sisters), not NSCFString.

Where is the API for this beast? How am I supposed to (correctly) use it.

2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

It is a private class implementing NSString's API. See http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?ClassClusters and http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?TollFreeBridging

<edit>
    As for why NSTextView would complain about it... I'm really not sure. It shouldn't. My suspicion would be that something else is wrong and it's just giving an incorrect error message.
    </edit>

3. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

NSCFString errors should not appear when using Cocoa. Perhaps some code you are using will help us find the problem.

4. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the links.

As for the code:
    What needs to be done, depends on the class of aString. Seeing "id" I expected an attributed or non-attributed string. Whatever I do in the NSTextView, I always get an NSCFString ([aString className]).

My original code was based on wrong assumptions, but everything seems to work now. The error that led me to NSCFString came from [aString string], expecting in some cases an NSAttributedString, while I only needed the string itself.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think you need to do code similar to the following.

Code:
    [INDENT]
    if([initialString respondsToSelector:@selector(string)]){[INDENT][textBox setStringValue:[initialString string]];[/INDENT]}else{[INDENT][textBox setStringValue:initialString];[/INDENT]}[/INDENT]