NSFileManager Write File As Hidden File (Without Naming ".File")?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Darkroom, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

i've noticed that NSFileManager has an attribute to hide the files extension, but what if i want to make the whole file hidden?

i understand i could simply add a "." to the beginning of the file name, but how are hidden files written that don't have "." at the beginning of their name? i read somewhere it has to do with setting the hidden attribute in the resource fork of the file, but how can i access/set that resource fork from my cocoa app?

2. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

I've been reading for quite a while since I read your question... and it doesn't seem like there is a Cocoa way to do this. There is a pair of calls, getattrlist and setattrlist that seem to do this, but I cannot find any real example on how to do this. These get called by SetFile when you run it with -a V <filename> (I found this with ktrace/kdump). They're called through some carbon calls, namely:
    http://developer.apple.com/document...ence.html#//apple_ref/c/func/FSSetCatalogInfo
    (found this breaking on getattrlist and setattrlist in gdb and doing a backtrace)

I don't think there is a Cocoa way to do this.

Maybe there's a different tact you can take? Put the file in an already hidden directory?

-Lee

3. Darkroom thread starter Guest

Darkroom

thanks for looking into the issue for me Lee.