Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshSIM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
hey, kinda new here but hope i get answers :)
in Xcode I have a scripting bridge to Mail.app. To send a message i need an NSTextView... problem is I store the email gradually in an NSMutableDictionary and you cant store text in an NSTextView, only in an NSTextField
please help!
TIA
Josh

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The superclass of NSTextView is NSText. This has both string and setString methods to get/set the string. I don't see why you can't "store text in a NSTextView".

joshSIM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
when I open interface builder I click on the NSTextView and go to the value bindings but it is disabled
????
Josh

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
So you can't bind the property. This makes some sense given the noted performance optimisation in the documentation for the string method. You will have to write some actual code.

joshSIM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
Can you please give me examples?

Could ou please give me examples of code, prehaps in a form of a controller, I am a complete noob so please help!
TIA
Josh

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Could ou please give me examples of code, prehaps in a form of a controller, I am a complete noob so please help!
TIA
Josh

No. I firmly believe that providing people with "example" code simply results in that code being blindly copy/pasted and the person learns nothing. The art of programming is in the programmers ability to think about a problem, break it down and solve it. Not in copying code someone else has written.

joshSIM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
Your right

I would like to learn C.
Do you know any good ebooks to start learning cocoa proggraming?
Thanks
Josh
(P.S your right, sorry;))

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Do you want to learn C or Cocoa? One is a programming language the other is a set of APIs which are mostly targeted against Objective-C which is a different language. Unfortunately I don't know of any good e-Books. The course text when we were taught C in first year at Uni was A Book on C which I found to be pretty good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.