NSThread selector trouble

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by patrickq007, Aug 24, 2009.

1. patrickq007 macrumors newbie

Here is a code segment I wrote:

Code:
    MyProcessorClass *myInstance = [[MyProcessorClass alloc] init];
    // Set some instance variables of myInstance
    myInstance.myDelegate = self; // current object implements a delegate

// Start the thread to do the processing...
    // "info" is a NSDictionary
    [NSThread detachNewThreadSelector: @selector(MyProcessorClass::doTheWork toTarget:myInstance withObject:info];
    The application seems to crash the instant I make that call, even though all parameters check out before the call. Any ideas? Something fishy in the selector syntax (most example use a selector to a method in the current class, here I use a selector in a different class)?

Thanks!

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Where is doTheWork defined? If it's an instance method on MyProcessorClass, then the selector would be @selector(doTheWork). If doTheWork takes an argument, then it should be @selector(doTheWork:).

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What is this? This is not C++. We don't use ::. A selector is not specified for a specific class.

4. patrickq007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Quite right, thanks! I am new to obj-c and to me at least, what got me confused is the fact that doTheWork: appeared unresolved without specifying its class. I guess that selectors are really like litteral strings and get passed as string at run-time to the target object who knows what method it refers to ...