NSTimer

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by liptonlover, Jul 27, 2008.

1. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to learn how to get a timer working... I read the apple docs on timers and loops. I also went through the loop and nstimer class docs. Finally I went through the chapter on NSTimer in cocoa programming for mac os x. Here's my unsuccessful code. (I just checked, all my connections are good. As far as I can tell it should work. Pressing "go" does nothing though...)

#import <Cocoa/Cocoa.h>

@interface AppController : NSObject/* Specify a superclass (eg: NSObject or NSView) */ {
    IBOutlet id progressBar;
    NSTimer *timer;
    int count;
    }
    - (IBAction)go:(id)sender;
    - (IBAction)reset:(id)sender;
    - (IBAction)stop:(id)sender;
    @end

#import "AppController.h"

@implementation AppController
    - (IBAction)go:(id)sender {
    timer=[[NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:0.1 target:self selector:mad:selector(increment:) userInfo:nil repeats:YES] retain];
    }

- (IBAction)reset:(id)sender {

}

- (IBAction)stop:(id)sender {

}

- (void)increment:(NSTimer *)aTimer {
    count=count+1;
    [progressBar setIntValue:count];
    }
    @end

Can anyone tell me what's wrong? Thanks! Nate

2. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

not totally sure about this, but what exactly is "count"?

3. kpua macrumors 6502

NSProgressIndicator is not an NSControl, so there is no setIntValue: method. You need to use incrementBy: or setDoubleValue: after you set up a min-max range in IB or setMinValue: and setMaxValue:

Also, FYI, a couple more things: You're leaking your NSTimer, since it's never released anywhere, and you probably want to prevent multiple timers from being created in your go: method. (A simple timer == nil check will work.)

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

kpua is probably right, but the simple thing to do (for starters) would be to throw a couple NSLog statements in your go: and increment: methods to see if they are getting called at all. I probably use NSLog as my primary debugging method about 90% of the time. Primitive, yes, but it works.

5. liptonlover thread starter macrumors 6502a

@darkroom - count is simply an int, hence this line:
    int count;

@kpua - Thanks I forgot about that... I used them before. I know I'm leaking, I just didn't bother with that bit of code yet. I want to get it working first. Thanks for pointing that out though :)

@hirez - ok thanks :)

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Also, your app may have stopped responding because of a runtime error. Are you looking at the console while it's running?