Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
Hi all,

I am currently having a problem with my MacBook after instaling Catalina and I can't find anything about it on the internet and was woundering if someone might have an idea?

I was just so happy to hear how silent my MacBook Mid-2012 could be after cleaning all the fans inside but since I updated to Catalina beecause I needed a bugfix for Logic Pro, the fans are constantly runing, even if the MacBook is completly idle. The culprit seems to be the nsurlsessiond process, using up 60% of one core without doing anything. I deactivated all iCould, Mail, Messages and other services that might use the process and I installed Little Snitch to check what it is up- or downloading, but the strange thing is, that the process is downloading nothing at all. In the activity monitor as well as little snitch it is listed with a transmition of 0 bytes and still it uses constant CPU. Is this process broken? All I could find about this process online is to make it stop eating bandwith, something it not doing for me. It is fine when I restart the computer for some times but always comes back. I also tried to reset PRAM etc
The MacBook is noticable slower and like I said the fans are constantly on now.

I hope you can help me or shoudl I contact apple about this?

Thank you very much!

Update:

I found the rout of the problem on my computer but everything was already backuped for a clean new install so I did it anyways. For me the problem came always back, also after I locked out of iCould or changed user accounts or killed proceses.
It seemed like a currupted keychain of icloud in the keychain manager caused trustd and nsurlsessiond to loop.
Go to the keychain acess and check if there are any corrupted (red) keys and delete them. After this everything was back to normal

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir Ahmed

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
You could try running system diagnostics I had High cpu-memory and swap usage ran it and
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 1.46.31 PM.png
everything is running smooth for fam I use Mac Fan Control

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Hi all,

I am currently having a problem with my MacBook after instaling Catalina and I can't find anything about it on the internet and was woundering if someone might have an idea?

I was just so happy to hear how silent my MacBook Mid-2012 could be after cleaning all the fans inside but since I updated to Catalina beecause I needed a bugfix for Logic Pro, the fans are constantly runing, even if the MacBook is completly idle. The culprit seems to be the nsurlsessiond process, using up 60% of one core without doing anything. I deactivated all iCould, Mail, Messages and other services that might use the process and I installed Little Snitch to check what it is up- or downloading, but the strange thing is, that the process is downloading nothing at all. In the activity monitor as well as little snitch it is listed with a transmition of 0 bytes and still it uses constant CPU. Is this process broken? All I could find about this process online is to make it stop eating bandwith, something it not doing for me. It is fine when I restart the computer for some times but always comes back. I also tried to reset PRAM etc
This does not seem to be widely reported issue for Catalina... So it is likely on your system only. Few basic steps to try to fix it may help:
Reset SMC/PRAM. Cannot hurt.
Create new user account and see, if it happens there also. If not, it is something in your account.
Reinstall Catalina (in place, simply over current system). Should be non destructive, but make sure you have backup first.
If that still does not help, make sure you have really good working backup and wipe the disk and install Catalina clean. Try without moving your data. If it is gone, use Migration Assistnat to transfer data and apps back. See if that broke it.
If any step fixed it, you are good to go...

If it still does not work in completely clean Catalina, there may be hardware issue which shows up this way.

How well are your wifi and Bluetooth working? I wonder if there is something wrong with them.

You can try to talk to Apple, but 2012 may not be worth fixing. Their prices are, well, not cheap - if they will be even willing to work on 2012.

andnat12

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all,

Thank you very much!

I also have this same exact problem on my MacBook Pro Mid-2012 (nsurlsessiond hogging 60% cpu constantly). I created a new Profile and when I'm in that profile, there is no more problem. I don't know exactly what this means pertaining to the cause of the issue though.

Toster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
glad to hear I am not the only one! I tried to create a new profile to, and nsurlsessiond was not listed in the activity monitor, but there seemed to be still an cpu drain wich was not listed, because available cpu power was always around 60%, even in idle, even though the monitor of the new profile showed nothing using the cpu. Sadly my time machine broke a few days after the update, that's why I don't want to try Honza1s tips yet without a backup

OPELFUN

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2020
Hi all,

Thank you very much!
Hi,

I have the same problem as you describe on my MacBook PRO 13 Mid-2012. Clean installation probably won't help. I was changed my old hdd to a new ssd and use internet recovery to recover my laptop to factory system, after recovery I've made a Catalina installation and problem was appear right after that while the system was clean from anything.
For now did SMC/PRAM reset, and looking what will happen.

P.s. iCloud turned off last week but it didn't helped.

Upd.
SMC/PRAM reset seems to have helped. Using MacBook 3+ hours and have normal CPU usage. Earlier after reboot there was no more then 30 minutes normal CPU usage.

Last edited:

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
glad to hear I am not the only one! I tried to create a new profile to, and nsurlsessiond was not listed in the activity monitor, but there seemed to be still an cpu drain wich was not listed, because available cpu power was always around 60%, even in idle, even though the monitor of the new profile showed nothing using the cpu. Sadly my time machine broke a few days after the update, that's why I don't want to try Honza1s tips yet without a backup
Not sure what the "available cpu power" means. I just do not see such value in Activity monitor. If you mean Idle, then something is eating 40% of cpu and it should be listed as process.
Anyway, if the problem does not happen in new profile, your issue is related to some application you are running in your old profile. This is old computer and system was used and upgraded probably few times, there is a lot of crud which accumulated. I was recently removing kext (kernel extension) which was supporting usb 3G card I was using back in ~2013 and which made it all the way to a new 2017 computer due to use of Migration Assistant. These old kexts - and programs started in system or user Library/LaunchAgents and LaunchDemons- are possible source of crap running and hogging your cpu if it is related to user profile. Lot of programs you would not expect to need it put startup scripts there, running always. And if they are unmaintained, something goes wrong easily...
You can try to identify what is running and causing this Apple process go crazy - or simply make for yourself a new account, move data and configure services a new there.
Even better alternative is to wipe the the disk and reinstall everything, move manually the data (and not use Migration Assistant). Some people swear that it does miracles for their computer to do so... Lots of ugly work, though.
But whatever you do, get yourself reliable, tested and working backup before touching anything.

Emm261

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2020
Hi all,
Same problem on my MBP early 2013 since I installed Catalina.
I noticed that those lines (bellow) are repeating endlessly on my console (errors section) when Nsurlsessiond and Trustd processes are going high in Activity monitor. Strange, isn't it ?

UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=<private>}

erreur 12:01:38.750670+0400 nsurlsessiond Failed to obtain user-directory, errno: 5

erreur 12:01:38.750741+0400 nsurlsessiond Process with bundleID <private> [pid 240] does not have a bundle path, rejecting connection

erreur 12:01:38.750893+0400 trustd obliterateAllSessionsWithReply error handler called with error Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=<private>}

erreur 12:01:38.751467+0400 nsurlsessiond Failed to obtain user-directory, errno: 5

erreur 12:01:38.751538+0400 nsurlsessiond Process with bundleID <private> [pid 240] does not have a bundle path, rejecting connection

erreur 12:01:38.751701+0400 trustd obliterateAllSessionsWithReply error handler called with error Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=<private>}

etc.

Reactions: andnat12

andnat12

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all,
Same problem on my MBP early 2013 since I installed Catalina.
I noticed that those lines (bellow) are repeating endlessly on my console (errors section) when Nsurlsessiond and Trustd processes are going high in Activity monitor. Strange, isn't it ?

UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=<private>}

erreur 12:01:38.750670+0400 nsurlsessiond Failed to obtain user-directory, errno: 5

erreur 12:01:38.750741+0400 nsurlsessiond Process with bundleID <private> [pid 240] does not have a bundle path, rejecting connection

erreur 12:01:38.750893+0400 trustd obliterateAllSessionsWithReply error handler called with error Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=<private>}

erreur 12:01:38.751467+0400 nsurlsessiond Failed to obtain user-directory, errno: 5

erreur 12:01:38.751538+0400 nsurlsessiond Process with bundleID <private> [pid 240] does not have a bundle path, rejecting connection

erreur 12:01:38.751701+0400 trustd obliterateAllSessionsWithReply error handler called with error Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=<private>}

etc.

Yup, I just checked and mine is doing the same exact loop of errors.

Reactions: Emm261

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Quick google on this nsurlsessiond process suggests, that it is related to iCloud syncing. E.g.: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7525492 .
Which makes sense that it does not happen in other account, which is not syncing to that iCloud... In that case you probably need to log out from all applications using iCloud and log in again. This can be any number of applications - from system iCloud, Photos, etc. - to third party apps using iCloud for backup and syncing. YOU can log out everything and then start logging in again, or log out one after another and check if it goes away before continuing after some time. Takes longer, but if yo are lucky it can be the first one you pick.
Now, if it is Apple system/app, log out and log in should be enough. If it is third party app, may be there is update which fixes this.

Emm261

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2020
I tried to desactivate everything on my iCloud, on all my devices, and for almost 24h it worked, but now the nsurlsessiond process is back to 63% on activity monitor and I get the same error messages loop... So the question is : is it really iCloud related ? Could it be something else ?
Not sure about how I could proceed for find out what it is.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
So, if you create a new user on that computer, that new user account will work without troubles? Easy, create for yourself a new user and migrate your documents to this account.
Did you try to reinstall current OS version "in place"?
When everything else fails, backup (and backup again, create bootable backup using external disk and Carbon Copy Cloner or Disk Duper). Then wipe the system, install fresh. And setup computer as new, without any migration. Check all works with your Apple ID. Then reinstall applications, verify all works... And then move data from backup. Yes, it takes time and is annoying, but something may be corrupted in the prior installation (and this is Apple solution anyway).
Now, if you have recent computer with T2 chip, find instructions on Apple web site. If you have older computer, there are instructions how to do this on the web easily available.

• Love

Emm261

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2020
So... Since the problem also occurred on a new user account, I reinstalled current OS in place and it didn't solve the issue.
Before I go for a clean install, I'd like to try the solution pointed by @Wilno Larson, here, but being a total newbie with the terminal, I would be grateful if someone could explain to me how I must fill the [trustd PID] in the first line
# sudo kill -9 [trustd PID]
where I can find this info.
Sorry if my question is silly...

Flurin

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
PID means process ID. You can find it in the activity monitor, there is a column "PID" (alternatively tipe "top" in the therminal and end top by pressing ctrl+C). So, if the process ID of trustd is for example 123, type sudo kill -9 123, this operations requires your password.

Toster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
Hi all,

I found the rout of the problem on my computer but everything was already backuped for a clean new install so I did it anyways. For me the problem came always back, also after I locked out of iCould or changed user accounts.
It seemed like a currupted keychain of icloud in the keychain manager caused trustd and nsurlsessiond to loop.
Go to the keychain acess and check if there are any corrupted (red) keys and delete them. After this everything was back to normal

Reactions: itsbenjik

Abneedshelp

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2020
I am having the same issue! I did not find any corrupted keys but do you think it would work if I reset my keychain to default? I am planning on erasing my Mac and reinstalling the OS but would resetting the keychain work?

itsbenjik

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2020
This worked for me. I had a red T-Mobile root certificate in red. Deleted it from the keychain manager, and all of a sudden nurlsessiond and bird and cloudd stopped taking up 120% of the CPU and the Macbook Pro stopped running hot almost instantly.

Hi all,

Thank you very much!

Update:

I found the rout of the problem on my computer but everything was already backuped for a clean new install so I did it anyways. For me the problem came always back, also after I locked out of iCould or changed user accounts or killed proceses.

Reactions: Samir Ahmed

Samir Ahmed

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
Hi all,

Thank you very much!

Update:

Yes, I had the exact same problem right after installing Catalina. The corrupted keys was the problem. Thanks for posting the update.

Reactions: satcomer

katertje1990

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
So... Since the problem also occurred on a new user account, I reinstalled current OS in place and it didn't solve the issue.
Before I go for a clean install, I'd like to try the solution pointed by @Wilno Larson, here, but being a total newbie with the terminal, I would be grateful if someone could explain to me how I must fill the [trustd PID] in the first line
# sudo kill -9 [trustd PID]
where I can find this info.
Sorry if my question is silly...
I just tried to do this as well. Step 1 worked, but I don't really understand how to perform step 2 (+3)..
Can you maybe guide me through (so removing the old nsurlsessiond temporary directory)? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.