NTB 2016 no serial number after repairs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PalidinoDH, Mar 3, 2017.

1. PalidinoDH macrumors member

Some of you might remember my thread around Valentines Day when I had to send my macbook pro into Best Buy for repairs because it wouldn't turn on, and they replaced my whole logic board. Today I decided to get around to signing back into iMessage and no matter what I tried nothing happened. After looking online I checked my about this mac and noticed my serial number says unavailable.

I won't take my macbook back to Best Buy and the closest Apple store is atleast an hour away, is there any other option that I can get this fixed that doesn't involve mailing it in? Irritatingly there are 5 Apple stores all within 15 miles of eachother, but all ~60 miles from me.

2. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Best bet is to either take it back and have them do the MLB Serializer that is easy to do and should be something that is done for any repair, in fact its part of the testing phase that needs to be done to complete a repair. so the only way is to go into an Apple Store perhaps or the Best Buy.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, exactly.
    A replacement logic board will not have a serial number, and whoever replaces the board has to run the "serializer" software to burn the customer's serial number on the new board. Best Buy should have done that, so you should give them the opportunity to complete that part of the repair.
    Sounds like you are stuck between a "rock" that you don't like, and a hard place that is 60 miles away.
    Which is worse?

Any possibility of an AASP closer to you? There are still a few out there.
    You could call AppleCare, they might have another option, too.