nTB MBP (2.0GHz) throttling under extended load?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johngwheeler, Nov 16, 2016.

1. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

Just wondering whether anyone has tested the thermal performance of the non-TB MBP under load, and how long it takes before the CPU speed throttles?

I think an Ars Technica review mentioned that both the 15W 2.0GHz and 28W 2.9GHz i5 CPUs were able to sit at their max turbo frequencies for 30 minutes, but that applying GPU load causes the 15W to throttle sooner.

I would be pretty happy if it's possible to run the 2.0GHz i5 flat out at 3.1GHz turbo speeds for 30 minutes (e.g. Handbrake encoding, video rendering etc.), but I'd like to hear more opinions about whether this is actually possible in practice.

Thanks,

John.

2. Qwe9203 macrumors member

The 15W does not throttle. It has adequete cooling.

3. johngwheeler thread starter macrumors 6502

Perhaps I meant "how long can it maintain close to maximum turbo speeds", rather than throttling, which implies dropping below its base frequency of 2.0GHz.

In particular, I am interested in the comparison of the 2.0GHz and 2.9GHz CPUs under heavy load for extended periods.

4. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

It is holding the maximum turbo speed constantly as long as you won't push the GPU much.
    Haven't had time/didn't care enough to test out at exactly how much GPU usage the CPU will start to lower it's clock speed.