NTFS-3G for 64bit?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karansaraf, Jul 31, 2011.

1. karansaraf macrumors regular

I bought this MBP a few weeks ago and installed NTFS-3G so that I could write to my windows formatted external HD.

Everything was fine, I could use my external however I wanted.

I've now clean installed SL again, and installed NTFS 3G, but it keeps saying that it cannot mount my HD, and looking in Sys Pref, I can see that MacFuse is 32bit, so I'm guessing that's the problem.

The error is:

NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk1s1 at /volumes/my book because the following problem occurred:
    /library/filesystems/fusefs.fs/support/fusefs.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) link error; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8). the MacFUSE file system is not available (71).

However, I cannot for the life of me seem to find a 64bit version. I've uninstalled and reinstalled them several times and it's stil the 32bit version and I still can't mount.

Could someone please link me to a 64 bit version that will work on SL and Lion?

Alternatively, is there another NTFS read/write program that is free and is better than NTFS-3G? I was frustrated that it would write to the disk only very slowly (ie. 5gb took about 20 mins).

2. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

Don't entrust you data dubious NTFS driver products. Your data is much more worth than the license price of a commercial product. I consider the NTFS driver from Paragon Software as the best on the market; it is very fast and ultra reliable. A license costs $20. I use it on all of my Macs.
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

That read more like an advertisement than a recommendation.

OP, this is what you need: http://www.tuxera.com/mac/macfuse-core-10.5-2.1.9.dmg

I believe it works with Lion but have not personally tried it.

4. PenguinMac macrumors member

That Paragon post sounded like a recommendation to me. I've used the Paragon product and it works very well in 64-bit Snow Leopard. And it's cheaper than the Tuxera product ($20 vs. $35).

There is a completely unsupported 64-bit implementation of MacFuse by the way, but it's been done by changing the compile-time branches in the source code and in no way represents a safe working product. Unfortunately the original MacFuse author no longer is updating that driver.

5. karansaraf thread starter macrumors regular

I got the Paragon to try it.

It's horrifically slow. It takes over a minute to display the contents of folders that have lots of files in them. I tried to copy files FROM the HD onto my desktop and the transfer speed was significantly less than even 1mb/s. Really really bad. I don't even want to speculate on what write speeds ONTO the drive would be like.

Is there any way I can configure/solve this problem, or should I try something else?

6. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I have never tried Paragon, I tried the Tuxera trail once and found it worked fine, however I decided just to reformat my drives to exFat instead of NTFS which worked great! I have seen various speed problems with NTFS-3G (Like 69MB/s harddrive going to 19MB/s), So probably what your seeing is normal (OP).

7. karansaraf thread starter macrumors regular

NTFS-3G is slow, but not that slow. I can transfer about 5GB in 15 mins. Paragon is meant to be super fast in comparison, but it's not working at faster than 1mb/s, which is really terrible, and not normal.

Either way, it doesn't matter now. I reinstalled NTFS-3G with MacFUSE that works in 64 bit, so I'm fine with that.