NTFS-3G + Hidden Files For Both Windows/OSX.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Evildemon989, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Evildemon989 macrumors newbie

I have just acquired an external enclosure for my 160GB 2.5 HDD, and I have it formatted as NTFS on a MBR partition table. I use NTFS-3G on OSX, and it's, of course, natively supported by windows.

Well, I am having problems with hidden files between them. In OSX, the .DS_Store files, .Trashes and ._*name* files are hidden, but I can see windows' hidden files (RECYCLER, RECYCLE BIN, and System Volume Information). In Windows, I can see .DS_Store, .Trashes and ._*name* files from OSX, but not Windows' hidden files. I am looking for a way to solve this, or not have the files created on the disks. Any suggestions? Thank you.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Solve what? that you can see non-native files on your hard drive? This is not a flaw. However, with added power comes added responsibility. Understand what those files are and don't mess them up.

3. Evildemon989 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I am looking to have the hidden files from both OS's to be hidden on both OS. Currently, I can see the other os's hidden files in the OS that didn't create them. I would like to have them hidden in both because say I copy a folder with 20 music files to my NTFS disk in OSX. When I go to that folder in windows, I'll have the 20 files shown, but I will also see 20 other files named ._Songnamehere. I would prefer that hidden files stay hidden in both OS's.

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Look into a piece of software called BlueHarvest....I use it to hide those files on my shared network and USB thumb drives.

5. Evildemon989 thread starter macrumors newbie

I like blueharvest, but I would prefer to not have to pay anything. Also, it will not take off the files made by windows. Still searching for a cure. Any ideas are appreciated.

6. mac2x macrumors 65816

I really don't see how this is a problem...I mean Windows doesn't know what to do with the Mac files and vice versa. Just don't modify them in any way whatever you do.

7. Evildemon989 thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean, the drive functions normally, but it is very annoying to be in windows and go into a music folder that has say 30 songs, and also has those 30 songs' resource forks(._name) listed which is annoying because it'll make you think that the resource fork is the song and you'll accidentally click it. Also, you might think that the songs didn't copy to the drive correctly because the resource fork shows up as 4kb.