NTFS-3G not readable by Windows?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Glumpfner, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Glumpfner macrumors regular

So I have several external Harddisk that I formatted with NTFS-3G via the Disk Utility App on my Mac. I worked with the HDDs for weeks on my Mac without a problem. And now I brought the Harddisks to a friend and none of them can be read by Windows XP?!

We tried on several Machines, none seem to be able to read the NTFS-3G formatted HDDs. They're also not broken since they still work the second I plug them back into my MacBook.

So did I do something wrong? I also can't find a NTFS-3G driver for Windows.
    It would kinda defeat the purpose that Windows can't read NTFS-3G...

2. kasakka macrumors 68000

You have to remember that (correct me if I'm wrong and this has changed) MS doesn't offer much documentation about NTFS, it's their proprietary format so NTFS-3G is essentially a 3rd party implementation which may not be perfect or to spec. You'd most likely have better success if you format the HDD in Windows and then use it as normal, just for the sake of maximum compatibility.

3. teryan2006 macrumors newbie

GUID or MBR

Is it possible that when you format in Disk Utility, you used GUID partition map instead of MBR? That would explain why a NTFS partition isn't readable in Windows but in OSX.