Ntfs-3g

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patrickng89, Apr 26, 2010.

1. patrickng89 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I am a total noob at Mac as i just bought a new mbp 15 after years with windows. i was reading the forums and was trying to figure out how to configure this ntfs-3g issue so that i can read those ntfs files. can someone provide me with step by step instructions as to how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Formatting in HFS (Mac OS Extended) or FAT32 or NTFS-3G can be done with Mac's Disk Utility.

FAT32
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    • No individual file larger than 4GB.
    NTFS
    HFS
    • Read/Write HFS from native Mac OS X
    • To Read/Write HFS from Windows, Install MacDrive
    • To Read HFS (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer

The NTFS-3G step-by-step installation instructions are included in the User Guide that comes with the app.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

NTFS is short for New Technology File System and is like the name suggests, a file system, used by Windows. Mac OS X is capable to read NTFS formatted volumes without a problem or any third-party software.

NTFS-3G drivers are simple. You download them from here, open the DMG, install it by running the Install NTFS-3G.mpkg file, restart the Mac and are now able to WRITE to NTFS formatted volumes.

Also take a real good look at GGJstudios post. And MRoogle. And http://guides.macrumors.com/Drives_and_Filesystems

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]