NTFS and Macbook help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trush, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Trush macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have a Macbook Pro (Core 2 Duo processor 2.26GHz, 2GB, 13.3-inch TFT) coming in the mail so I thought I would try and figure some things out that have kept me curious. I have read numerous threads on NTFS-3G and the native NTFS driver in Snow Leopard. So I will give you my scenario, because I am unable to see the way.

First of all I am a first time Mac buyer so my Mac vocabulary will be limited. I have friends that have windows (NFTS) formatted external hard drives. I would like to copy some things of their hard drives and put it on a brand new external hard drive I have coming with the macbook. What would be the best way to do this? Should I format my new external hard drive to HFS+ or leave it NFTS and transfer the files to it in windows format? Is this even possible without NTFS-3G or a similar method? I apologize if I sound moronic in anyway, I am not that computer savvy. Also I am deployed to SW Asia, so I won’t be able to go to the store if need be. Support your troops!

Thanks
    Tim

2. p3ncil macrumors regular

I'll keep them(the harddrives) at NTFS if i am sharing them, since, you mentioned that majority of your friends are windows user.

I'm sure it would be a better idea for you to install NTFS-3g once rather making sure all your mates have some HFS+ plugin on their window boxes everytime they want to access your harddrive.

3. dudeitsjay macrumors regular

I just formatted my passport to fat32 simply because I knew i wouldn't be using any files over 4gigs. I keep a 16gig flashdrive to deal with big files on the run..

4. RKpro macrumors 6502

NTFS-3G is great.

I have an external 320GB disk. The first 220GB partition is NTFS, for general storage and sharing, the second 100GB partition is HFS for my Time Machine backups.

I only backup my Documents folder so the 100GB is enough for like a year's worth of backups for me. Another thing, from my experience, the NTFS partition must be first, or Vista won't see it. (But XP and Linux will still work)

5. Trush thread starter macrumors newbie

So it is possible to transfer files over with my Macbook to my NTFS formatted external hard drive from my friends NTFS formatted hard drive with NTFS-3G. Is this possible without NTFS-3G and full read write capabilities? Should I just download NTFS-3G?

Thanks
    Tim

6. prodigee macrumors 6502a

From what I understand you need NTFS-3G to read AND write. I have it and I love it, it makes my life so much easier. I would say just download it, it wont hurt to have it.

7. Trush thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that is correct. You have had no problems with it? It works as described?
    Is it's performance good?
    Thanks
    Tim

8. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I have never had an issue with it. I think its a great app, and you never need to run it, it just sits there in system preferences you kinda just forget its there. It works like it would on Windows (IE it feels normal). So yeah basically it does what is says it does and does it very well. Go get it!

9. Trush thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you prodigee. Since it seems you have the same laptop I have on the way, would you care to recommend other apps or things that are nice to have? Is the RAM decent on it?

Thanks
    Tim

10. prodigee macrumors 6502a

The RAM is good, I will be doing an upgrade to 4 gigs fairly soon because of the fact that some of my audio editing software just eats it up, but other than that for web browsing, editing documents, iTunes, email, and Skype all at the same time with no issue.

As far as Apps go, I would say get these:
    Get iStat Pro widget - its really good for system monitoring.
    Transmission - For torrents, it really is the best on OS X.
    AppCleaner - Good so you can remove all files associated with a program when you want to uninstall it
    Handbrake - For DVD ripping.
    CandyBar - For changing icons in OS X great if you like customization, I have an extra key for sale if you want it PM me for details on that.

Other than those programs the only other apps I have on here are audio programs, which if you want the names of those too I can give them to you.

11. Trush thread starter macrumors newbie

That’s great. Any free personal finance programs/templates that you are familiar with?

Thanks
    Tim

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

You only neet NTFS-3G to write, not to read.

13. Trush thread starter macrumors newbie

That much has been clear this entire thread.

14. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I meant to say that you need it to write, but for whatever reason I said read as well. But it really doesn't matter because the OP knew that he could read from the beginning he needed to know if he could write with NTFS-3G and the answer as I stated before is yes.