NTFS and NTFS-3G Trouble - Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BlueSkyBlueWind, Aug 8, 2009.

1. BlueSkyBlueWind macrumors newbie

I have 2 external HDDs that I am sharing with other PCs/Macs over the network.

Interestingly, when I look up the info for each volume, only one shows as NTFS-3G whereas the other one shows as just NTFS.

And this NTFS volume is causing so much trouble. It doesn't wake up after it goes to sleep, and when I power-cycle it, the data I have put in previously is gone! It doesn't seem to save the data properly.

Perhaps because it's just NTFS, not NTFS-3G, I cannot run "Disk Repair" from the Disk Utility app. The button is disabled whereas for other volumes, the button is enabled.

At one time, I had to connect it to a PC to run the disk repair and was able to recover some of the lost data.

What the heck is going on? Howcome it is showing as NTFS opposed to NTFS-3G? Both HDDs were formatted from PCs as NTFS. Only difference is that the NTFS is 750GB one, and NTFS-3G one is just 300GB. Does NTFS-3G has size limit?

Can anybody help why this is happening and how to resolve this?

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Two possibilties: The drive might need to be error checked on a real Windows system.

The drive that isn't working might be a Dynamic Volume, or partitioned in some way that NTFS-3G doesn't want to touch, but will be picked up by the OS read-only driver.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Are you using the correct terminology? To share means that you access the drive over the network. It appears that you are moving your NTFS drive between your Mac and PC.

While connected to your PC, I would suggest that you run all standard Windows maintenance utilities on your drive. Then see what happens.

4. BobZune macrumors 6502a

OP - FYI: NTFS is a file format from Microsoft. NTFS-3G is software that runs on the Mac that can write/read that format.

[NTFS itself has versions, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Versions for more, but that is probably not relevant to your problem.]