NTFS Drive reformat?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by greganpace, Oct 28, 2011.

1. greganpace, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

greganpace macrumors regular

I have a NTFS external drive and it has around 100gb of music and video so I don't have to store it all on my macbook. I have a trial of the Tuxera, but in 15 days I will have to pay for it, which I don't want to do, but this is the only driver I can find that will work with Lion. I am wondering if it is possible to move everything to a PC computer (I don't have another Mac and not quite enough room on this one), reformat the drive for my Mac, then move it all back to the drive. I don't know enough about windows to know if it is capable of moving the information back to the mac formatted drive. I really don't have access to another hard drive or mac to do all this, so I hope this will work.

2. orvn macrumors 6502

The NTFS-3G Tuxera that I use to read/write to NTFS drives has never asked me for a trail/license.. strange.

Anyways, you can format your drive to HFS (or HFS+) with a Windows machine by booting a LiveCD or LiveUSB or GPartEd (Gnome Partition Editor), which is a Linux driven partition editor that runs right from a bootable CD.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

3. simsaladimbamba

You could also use exFAT.