NTFS ext HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xa0cx, Jun 21, 2011.

1. xa0cx macrumors newbie

Hi! It's only been a few days since i've been using iMac, which apparently is like a new world to me so i lack knowledge and experience on how and what to do.

Unfortunately, i was stupid enough to try and make my ext NTFS HDD work by following these instructions:

1. In Terminal, type diskutil info /Volumes/volume_name, where volume_name is the name of the NTFS volume. From the output, copy the Volume UUID value to the clipboard.
    2. Back up /etc/fstab if you have it; it shouldn't be there in a default install.
    3. Type sudo nano /etc/fstab.
    4. In the editor, type UUID=, then paste the UUID number you copied from the clipboard. Type a Space, then type none ntfs rw. The final line should look like this: UUID=123-456-789 none ntfs rw, where 123-456-789 is the UUID you copied in the first step.
    5. Repeat the above steps for any other NTFS drives/partitions you have.
    6. Save the file and quit nano (Control-X, Y, Enter), then restart your system.

Which can be found here: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20090913140023382
    (I missed step Nr. 2 since i didn't know how to do it, stupid me)

Ok, so after rebooting my Mac nothing changed, i was still unable to drag n drop things to the ext HDD. Then i have read the comments on those instructions saying I may meet problems now.

Ok, so before anything horrible happened, I would like to know, what exactly have I done and how can it affect my Mac now? And most important, is there any way I could undo all the changes or just fix this?

I greatly appreciate any help and I know I should have thought twice between doing such things.

P.S Since now i will have to reformat my ext HDD to make it work on Mac, i shall ask BEFORE doing anything:
    Is this safe and should i be doing this? http://www.techiecorner.com/159/how-to-format-external-hard-disk-for-mac-and-windows/

2. dduggan macrumors newbie

Well you can undo your changes by doing
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/fstab
    and removing the line that you were instructed to put in.

The second article is acceptable (i.e using a FAT formatted drive), but you could also get an NTFS drive to work with your Mac by installing something like NTFS-3G

3. xa0cx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).
      [*]Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB

5. coops macrumors regular

I used to use NTFS on my 1Tb external hard drive, but just converted it to exFAT, which works fine on Mac and Windows 7/Vista without any hassle. It'll also work with WinXP with an 'easy' Widows install/update.

Worth considering for ease of use.

(note: this is not FAT32, and does NOT have the 2Gb file size limitation)

Coops

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's 4GB