NTFS External and Spotlight

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Benji Bee Tech, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Benji Bee Tech macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've got an NTFS formatted external with about 500GB of content, very poorly organized. I need to scan the drive for all photos, videos, music, and documents and pul them off each separately to be placed into individual folders on another drive.

I've got the NTFS read / write plugin installed and working just fine, and I've followed all of the instructions for resetting the Spotlight index on the external (remove and add from Privacy, and the various terminal commands) and the volume reports indexing is enabled.

The problem? Indexing didn't ever take place, and Spotlight finds no results for any searches I perform. I've reset and reenabled over and over, what else can I do to find this content apart from browsing each and every folder on this thing?

Thanks,

Benji

2. Benji Bee Tech thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have. Sorry I should have been more specific. I have tried:

Code:
    sudo mdutil -i on /Volumes/External

and
    Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /Volumes/External

and both report:

Code:
    /Volumes/External:
    Indexing enabled. 

but a search finds nothing.

3. ludayoda macrumors newbie

I am having this same issue with an NTFS formatted drive (I also have Paragon NTFS so I can read/write). Running Lion on a macbook pro. Have tried resetting the index and the terminal commands mentioned here. Still not getting anything. Did you find a solution to this?