NTFS + External HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i.shaun, Aug 4, 2008.

1. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I am running OS X Tiger (10.4.11)

I have a 300GB maxtor One Touch External HDD currently formatted for OS X.

I am just wondering if OS X can read an NTFS (windows) file system. I wish to format the majority of the drive as NTFS for use with other computers, and even the Ps3. If OS X is able to read from it, just like it does for FAT32 USB sticks, then I can just move my files on the NTFS partition.

Even if it's NTFS support is currently READ-ONLY, I can still do this, and keep 30GB of space formatted for OS X. In the event that I wish to edit a movie or file on the NTFS side, I can move it to the OS X partition, write to it, then place it back on the NTFS side.

Has anyone else done something like this? or just used an NTFS formatted HDD with the mac?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

OS X will read NTFS (among most other formats), NTFS support is read-only from the OS. However, a quick search at VersionTracker will likely net you a utility to be able to access NTFS just like FAT and FAT32.

TEG

3. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Thank you good sir, I'll check it out. I've already got so many useful programs off version tracker (had to pay for them, though)

Most recently was Snap Pro X -- the best screen capture utility of all time.

Any other ones just slow the computer right down, and even stop responding. This one works flawlessly, saves the movie (which is usually quite large, but a quick run through Visual Hub fixes that)

It also has the ability to record sound from the system, or the microphone. Combined with Keyboard Maestro (also shareware) I set up a macro that snaps a picture of the screen by hitting F16 (no more Command+Shift+3 for me)

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

MacFuse & NTFS-3G are what your looking for the links to them can be found on this page,there is another called paragon but that isn't free

5. timestoby macrumors 6502

i think the ps3 is fat32

6. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Son of a--

I checked, the Ps3 only supports FAT/FAt32

No NTFS or Mac support. Seeing as most items use FAT32 (like USB Sticks) I'll have to format this drive as such.

For some reason, the mac Disk Utility cannot format as such, it says it can, but it doesn't. I put a USB stick in formatted in disk utility, and it is not recognized. I format it from windows, and it is recognized.