NTFS for Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chattahoochee, May 1, 2013.

1. chattahoochee macrumors 6502

Trying to move files from Mac to my external HDD with no luck. I see a program on the internet: "NTFS For Mac OS X 10" It is supposed to allow Mac files to be moved to the external HDD. The external HDD was used with my PC, I have now moved to Mac and cannot move any files to the external HDD, I can retrieve files, not send them. Is this program worth the $19.95 ?

2. simsaladimbamba

There is also a free solution:

Overview of the four major file systems (called "Formats" in Mac OS X) used on Windows and Mac OS X, compiled by GGJstudios. You can use Disk Utility to format any HDD to your liking.

Any external hard drive will work with PCs or Macs, as long as the connectors are there (Firewire, USB, etc.) It doesn't matter how the drive is formatted out of the box, since you can re-format any way you like. Formatting can be done with the Mac OS X Disk Utility, found in the /Applications/Utilities folder. Here are your formatting options:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

3. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

Using Disk Utility, which of the above would you recommend ?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you only intend to use your external drive with your Mac, make it HFS+.
    If you plan to regularly use the drive with both OS X and Windows, use NTFS (with Paragon installed on your Mac) or use exFAT.

5. simsaladimbamba

Depends on what you want to do with the external HDD (formatting deletes all existing data on it), if it is just for file transfers between Windows and Mac OS X, use exFAT and the Master Boot Record as partition map scheme (image to show you how).

6. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

It will be used only for Mac. I have no reason to use Windows. Therefore, as suggested, I will use HFS+ I may be back to ask for more help, in the meantime I'll try to struggle through it.

7. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

Question: it has been stated: "formatting deletes all existing data on it", i.e., the HDD being reformatted, is this true ? if so, I have no intension of loosing all the data on my external HDD. All I want is to have a means of securing specific files in case my current laptop fails. A 2nd ext HDD would do the trick, leaving the 1st HDD at rest. What do you experts say ?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, that's true. Use another drive if you don't want to lose existing data.

9. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

I have some file that I stored on the external HDD when I was on the PC that I now retrieve on my Mac, although I cannot load any files generated on my Mac to these files. So, hopping to get all my ducks in a row, if I furbish the new external HDD to NTFS, can I then use all the files on the original HDD as well as the new HDD ?

10. simsaladimbamba

If you get Paragon or any similar application to support Mac OS X to write on NTFS formatted volumes, then yes.
    Or you use exFAT with the new HDD, the copy the data off the NTFS HDD, and then format the NTFS HDD to exFAT and use the old HDD for whichever purpose you think it would fit, like backing up (having only one copy is not a backup, regardless of where that copy is stored).

11. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

NTFS by default on a Mac is read-only. That's why you can read files but not write to them.

Simplest solution is get a new drive, format it HFS+, copy files from old drive to new drive, then once confirmed that the files are on new drive, format old drive to HFS+ and now you have 2 external hard drives.

IF you've got a brand new mac, there's a chance you've got the free space on your mac to skip the 'new external' step. Just copy your files from the ext HD to your mac, confirm they open, then format your ext HD as HFS+

12. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is the Paragon that I located on the internet that will work on my Mac OS X 10.6.8. Before I download anything I need advice from experts.

FREE Virtualization Manager for Mac® OS X (10.5 / 10.6)

Run your Leopard or Snow Leopard alongside with all data and programs on any Mac!

13. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is what I plan, format the new HDD to HFS+, transfer files from old to new HDD, (do I need Paragon for this ?) confirm file transfer & reformat old HDD to HFS+. Now old files are "Read Only", new files "read & write"

Correct ?

14. simsaladimbamba

You do not need Paragon for this, as Mac OS X is capable of READING NTFS volumes, as stated before and experienced by you. Paragon, and similar software, is only needed if you want to WRITE to NTFS formatted volumes.

As for the "question" about FREE Virtualization Manager, I am not understanding what you want. Since it is free, maybe give it a try, though I fail to see, how it works, since Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (except Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Server) were not meant (and are not "allowed") to be installed as Virtual Machine.
    Since you are new to Macs and have your main experience with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (I presume), what is it you miss?

15. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I want to write to NTFS volumes, so I have ordered Paragon. As you recommend, I can have two (2) external HDD'S.
    Thanks allot for your help.

16. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

Formatting my new external HDD I followed your instructions above. However I have a question: The formatting options were:
    "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"
    "Mac Os Extended"
    "Mac OS (FAT)"
    "EXFAT"
    I formated using the 1st option, I moved a couple of files and all was OK.
    However, should I have used "Mac OS (FAT) ?