NTFS on mac os x

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Michael.Dribins, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Michael.Dribins macrumors newbie

hey all,

got a question: got a external hard-drive NTFS format, is there anyway that i can use it with my macbook pro running leopard?

Thanks

2. deriko100 macrumors 6502

In what way, boot off, transfer files? You have to tell us.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You should be able to read from it directly. If you want to write to it you need additional software, such as MacFUSE+NTFS3G

4. Michael.Dribins thread starter macrumors newbie

in the way that I need to transfer files from my PC to my mac that are bigger then 4Gb. and also when i connect my NTFS drive to the mac it does actually "see" it. however if convert it to FAT32 it will be read on the MAC.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

A Mac with Leopard should be able to read from a NTFS drive. It should be able to read and write to/from a FAT drive.

6. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

As great as this works, somewhat, it is still very unstable and probably shouldn't be used in standard situations.:rolleyes:

7. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

If you need to move files larger than 4GB than you are stuck with NTFS, as Windows denies the existence of HFS+drives (which can handle 4GB files), and FAT32 cannot handle 4GB or more.

Just running basic leopard, you can "transfer" the files, since Leopard can read NTFS, and will be able to copy the files off of it without issue.

If you want Write support as well (i.e. want it to function "normally") I would recommend Paragon NTFS for Mac OSX, it allows full read/write support for NTFS drives. Never had a problem with it being "unstable" as another poster commented. Also, if you want full play-nice-ness between all you PC's, I'd try MacDrive for PC. It allows Windows to see/read/write HFS+ disks. I think both of these cost a decent amount, but that didn't stop me, if you know what I mean :D

8. Michael.Dribins thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Catch Them macrumors regular

yeah mac drive is good, but if you dont need it to run all the time id say disable it, sometimes it seems to cause hiccups in windows.

though its provided useful to me a many times.

what about networking your computers together to transfer files over???

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Write to NTFS in Mac OS X: MacFuse together with NTFS-3G driver (free).

Read and write to HFS+ in Windows: HFSExplorer (free).

11. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

HFSExplorer; I haven't ever seen that before! Looks cool, but just like MacFUSE, isn't it likely unstable despite being a release version?

12. harry454 macrumors 6502

I found a better app for windows TransMac it can read HFS formats, works better than MacDrive IMO since macdrive didnt like to detect my hfs partitions