NTFS or FAT32 for my USB drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chris001, Nov 30, 2008.

1. chris001 macrumors regular

chris001

ok.
    i've read some articles but i'm still confused...
    from what i read, i think i'm going with NTFS, it's more stable and has better security?

but i can recall that if you use the USB on a MAC, it's better to use FAT32???

this is a problem because i have both MAC's and PC's. So which format will be better from exchanging files between the two?

Thanks/

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

FAT32 for easy file exchange between platforms.

3. emt1 macrumors 65816

Macs don't write to NTFS drives without additional software... so that should answer your question.

4. chris001 thread starter macrumors regular

chris001

...crap. i just formatted to NTFS.
    Well i guess i'll change it to FAT32!!! Thanks guys.

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Yes, I have had this problem... If you do NTFS, you will get read only access. So, go with the Fat and lose the file security of NTFS. Don't know that it matters on a non OS drive.

Good luck.

6. KítscheñÇinqµe macrumors regular

tried a little googling, but nothing definitive shows quickly: http://www.google.com/search?q="fir...ernal+drive"+"journaling+on"+|+journaled+NTFS

i'd think best chances are an external ntfs connected to an xp. Then share the external's folder(s) through LAN, for the mac. but you still wouldn't get mac to write to the external. so save files to temp folder on mac, then occasionally drag to the external? (or schedule a script to copy temp folder to external?)

7. chris001 thread starter macrumors regular

chris001

uhh.. lol? so why would i use the NTSF. i use the USB with both my mac and PC. your way seems very complicated for something that shouldn't be complicated.

8. QUiKSR20 macrumors member

QUiKSR20

If you are going to attach it to the PC and share it NTFS should be fine as I can write to
    my Dell PC from my MAC without problems over the network.

My drives on my Vista machine are NTFS and I can Read / Write / Delete etc without problems.

9. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Click the link in my Signature, and follow the proper links for more info if these guys went and confused you.