NTFS Partitions on OSX 10.8.2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SimplyMac2012, Nov 28, 2012.

1. SimplyMac2012 macrumors member

SimplyMac2012

I have transfered my iTunes library to a LaCie 1Tb External Hard Drive using a NTFS Partition from a Windows 7 Machine but when my mac accesses the drive from iTunes it says its locked the file its trying to open is the iTunes library.itl.
    The message displayed says " The iTunes Library.itl is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this file.

Can anyone please help me with this issue

I need to be able to use this drive on both types of machine PC & Mac

Regards

Adam

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

NTFS can only be read by Mac OS X, not written to without the use of 3rd party software.

If you want to be able to use the drive on both OS'es, try formatting it using either FAT32 or ExFat(Fat64).

3. SimplyMac2012 thread starter macrumors member

SimplyMac2012

re

Thanks for your help i'm hoping this will work i've now having to copy 584Gb of itunes for both OSx & PC

thanks again

Adam

4. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

If u r willing to experiment, no personal experience:

1. Enable native NTFS read/write support in OS X It might be a little outdated though, so be careful...

2. NTFS for Mac® OS X 10 This might be a safer solution, if you want to have the disk accessible both by Windows and OS X. Again, no personal experience but from my limited research this is what I'd go for... Maybe others can chip in;)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
      • For Mac OS X 10.5 and later, including Lion, FUSE for OS X
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

6. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

Dude, love your replies!!! They gotta be the most thorough and helpful ones, especially for a Mac 'newbie' like me. Always appreciated;)

7. SimplyMac2012 thread starter macrumors member

SimplyMac2012

Re

I've hit my first problem whilst copying my library i have a movie from itunes that is 5.86Gb had an error appear i beleive it could be to do with Fat32 partition can a file of 5.86Gb not be stored ???

On my mac i have in Disk Utility an option called ExFat would this help or do i just give up and return to a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to handle the size option of large file sizes. And just not use a PC running Windows.

Also i bought a Apple TV Gen 1 with 160Gb Hard Drive having idea to ditch the whole PC thing and just either upgrade the hard drive to 1Tb if one is available or do you know if the USB port on the back of the unit has the ability to use an external drive?? And what file system would it be read under ?

Also been told the Drive in the Apple TV is a PATA Ide can this be changed to SATA via Adaptor if once again there is one ??

Your Help on this and your replies so far have been most help full thank you

Regards

Adam

8. leman macrumors 604

Max size of FAT32 files is only 4GB. ExFAT should help.

9. SimplyMac2012 thread starter macrumors member

SimplyMac2012

Re:

I was just amazed just found a simple program made by Paragon Called NTFS for Mac OS X.

This simply enables a mac to Read/Write to an external hard drive a simple Drive and within Disk Utility NTFS appears

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

This is just information purpose but could be an option

10. SimplyMac2012 thread starter macrumors member

SimplyMac2012

Re

Leman do you know the largest file size of a ExFAT partition ?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read the bolded part of my earlier post?
    Larger than you're ever likely to encounter. Max file size 16 EiB