NTFS... Read Only ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brianjys, Apr 22, 2014.

1. brianjys macrumors newbie

brianjys

Hi , Recently I just reformatted my mac:apple: as some old settings may have gone . so here's the problem , I'm been unable to copy things to my external harddrive as it is only can be read only. So is there anyway to change it to read & write because before I reformat my mac , it's able to read & write . PS : please don't ask me to reformat the external had to exFAT or mac formats because i have to use this hd on windows too. Thanks !

2. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

NTFS by default is read-only, you'll need software like NTFS for Mac for read/write ability.

4. brianjys thread starter macrumors newbie

brianjys

But why before I reformat my mac , I'm allow to read & write ? :confused:

----------

But why before I reformat my mac , I'm allow to read & write ? :confused:

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

By default your Mac can't write to NTFS. Is it possible you or the previous owner had installed an aftermarket utility like mentioned above, and by reinstalling the OS you deleted that utility?

6. brianjys thread starter macrumors newbie

brianjys

it's not second hand and I got it from apple store so it's impossible to have 3rd arty apps install

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Logically, either some 3rd party tool was installed, or your external hard drive was not NTFS formatted. There isn't any other explanation.

I would suggest reformatting to ExFAT, ANY Windows operating system >Microsoft XP can read/write to this, and I highly recommend it. (It is "FAT64" equivalent.).

Goodluck!