NTFS reading and writing update?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by v2club, Apr 16, 2011.

1. v2club macrumors regular

What are the chances for an update that would allow NTFS formatet devises to read and WRITE? And would that be possible with the new Lion OS?

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

there are loads of utilities out there to allow r/w to NTFS, like NTFS 3G, Paragon NTFS etc.
    there are also guides on how to enable native r/w to NTFS using a few terminal tricks.

if your working with an external drive or thumb drive reformat them to exFAT (FAT64), it has native r/w in both OS X and faildows, but remember to use the MBR partition scheme.

google and ye shall find!

3. v2club thread starter macrumors regular

First of all that is not the point, the point is to be easier for every one! The option should have been there on a first place! Second of all you are not quite answering to my question, READIT IT AGAIN!

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

whatever anyone here says, it's all speculation.

only Apple knows.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

none, apple would have to pay royalties to microsoft to be able to use an inferior and mildly outdated disk format.

6. simsaladimbamba

The option should have been there in the first place?
    Windows is incapable of reading and writing to HFS(+) formatted volumes natively, it needs a third party software for that.
    And then there are licensing issues regarding NTFS, which makes it harder for Apple to offer NTFS-write drivers.
    The third party drivers circumvent those issues though, I guess. I might be talking out of my arse right now.
    And yeah, Mac OS X should be able to write to NTFS formatted volumes. Just like it should offer a taskbar, or a menu bar in every goddamn window, or snap, or a white mouse pointer, or a proper way to crash.
    Maybe this can help, but if you want to rant, go to www.apple.com/feedback