NTFS Sharing between Lion/SL

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by murdercitydevil, Jul 24, 2011.

1. murdercitydevil, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Here's the deal - My desktop is running Lion. It has 3 internal drives - The Lion drive, a Windows 7 drive, and a Storage drive which has one HFS+ partition for Mac backups, and one NTFS partition for media/movies/etc. My MBP is running SL 10.6.8. I'm trying to get it set up so my MBP can access any one of the three drives without problems.

I just installed NTFS for Mac 9.0 (which includes Lion support) on my Lion comp, thinking that not having NTFS write abilities on the Lion machine was the problem. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I cannot connect to the NTFS drives from my MBP. I can see them as connected, but whenever I try to access them, it says "There was an error connecting to the server, check the IP address again, blah blah." On the Lion machine, both drives are added to the list of shared folders, and each has the proper permissions. Furthermore, the NTFS drives are only visible in the list of servers when I use smb to connect from my MBP. When my desktop used to run SL, I could use AFP and it would show the NTFS drives regardless. Any way to change that? Is this a conflict between SL and Lion? Or something else?

Additionally, when I installed NTFS for Mac, after adding the NTFS storage drive to the list of shared folders, it suddenly created a new user called "Unknown User," which I cannot remove. Is there any way to get rid of this?

Thanks in advance!

2. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Why not convert the ntfs to exfat? Way more compatible and handles 64 bit and large files now.

4. JCaetanophoto macrumors newbie

Same issue and pretty pissed....Was working fine in SL. My USB shared drive has a bunch of data i need to read/write too.

5. murdercitydevil, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

This would require a reformat, yes? I don't have 1 TB of free space to move all my data...Plus it seems like it really isn't worth the trouble since there are plenty of good NTFS drivers for OS X.

Speaking of which, can anyone say which is better - NTFS-3G, Tuxera NTFS, or Paragon's NTFS for Mac?

EDIT: This issue is now null and void for me. I decided to just reformat all my drives except Windows as HFS+ since I hardly ever use the Windows drive anymore (plus it has MacDrive installed on it anyway). Additionally, if anyone is wondering about the NTFS driver question I posed, looks like Paragon is the best in terms of performance, Tuxera being second, and NTFS-3G being the slowest.

Good luck to the rest of you guys in getting this working. Maybe the just-released 10.6.8 Supplemental update fixes this?